• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter line clips

Daniel L Brown

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Track
Ok, I am a certified mechanic doing heavy equipment. I went to change the fuel filter and broke the fuel line clip. I go to the dealer to get a new clip (think it was green or blue) before pulling the line off the filter (fuel line still holding to filter) They tell me I have to buy a new fuel line because the clips for my year truck aren't made anymore. Is this true? I don't want to replace the line if I don't have too, anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You used be able to get replacement clips (aftermarket) at most auto parts stores. You can also get line end repair pieces. Ford once told me I had to purchase an entire fuel line for $180 when all I needed was a O-ring for the fuel rail connection.

You used be able to get replacement clips (aftermarket) at most auto parts stores. You can also get line end repair pieces. Ford once told me I had to purchase an entire fuel line for $180 when all I needed was a O-ring for the fuel rail connection.

Yes! They told me the line cost $200 dollars. I hate to pull off the fuel line till I know and have exactly what I need, I live 10 miles from the closest auto part store.

Did you just break the stainless steel spring clip or the part that seals?

The plastic clip that retains the fuel line.

My 01 Sport Trac does not have plastic clips. It has a round SS clip with little fingers on it. Maybe the 04 is different... ? Frankly the SS clips are a PITA to release. Maybe someone here with an 04 will help you.

I just looked up a fuel filter for an 04 and it looks just like mine.
GF354__ra_p.jpg

Is it like these plastic clips?
s-l1600.jpg

My 01 Sport Trac does not have plastic clips. It has a round SS clip with little fingers on it. Maybe the 04 is different... ? Frankly the SS clips are a PITA to release. Maybe someone here with an 04 will help you.
Thank you sir!

Back