Fuel filter question! 04 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter question! 04 xlt

Saik

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I got a quick question before I spend my money.

Basically I need to replace my fuel filter. The local Ford dealership is charging $130 for the replacement. However I found a fuel filter on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846821587 for $14. Is there any other tools I need to replace my fuel filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The $130 probably includes not only the labor, but also a fuel system flush. Nearly any shop will say they won't do a fuel filter without a fuel system flush as well.

If you want to change the fuel filter yourself, you'll need fuel line disconnect tools, which you can get at lots of tool or parts stores or online. I would recommend the metal ones, not the plastic ones.

Changing the fuel filter on these is a PITA. $130 is probably just for the fuel filter change. They're going to give you a hard time talking about a special tool and things like that. Honestly, you can do it in your driveway for the $14 fuel filter and a $10 tool. There is a write up somewhere in here on how to do it.

Yeah that ^^^

PERFECT! Thank you guys!

No the dealership was charging $130 just to change out the fuel filter, no flush .

Can someone list where I can get the Ford Fuel tool? I'm not too sure what I'm looking for.

Any fuel line removal tool will work. Go to advance auto parts or AutoZone and get the metal one. It's a pain at first but you'll get the hang of using it.

Yeah, I can't imagine the labor on the change. You have to remove a plastic cover, then i had to take the heat shield loose, then, it's still in a hard place to get at. One tip when using the tool to take the line off, Push the line in towards the filter at you insert the tool. I know, it's hard to do that, but it will almost fall apart then. Not sure on the '04, but I believe the '02 used a 3.8" tool, but you will have the whole set when you get them. Also, on the '02, the two other lines had some kind of plastic connectors. They didn't take a tool at all.

PERFECT! Thank you guys!

No the dealership was charging $130 just to change out the fuel filter, no flush .

Back in 2011 when I bought my Explorer, I called a local quick oil change shop and they wanted $60 parts and labor to install a new fuel filter. I wound up finding a guy with vehicle lift in his garage and he changed my fuel filter out for $15 labor in about 15 minutes time. Quick oil change shop may be the way to go if you don't really want to tackle this job yourself. Prices vary though state to state.

I cant seem to find the ford fuel tool. Can someone give me an online link to a cheap one

Changing the Fuel Filter is a pita the way I did it was using that metal tool, I sprayed some pb blaster on the fitting. I wrapped the tool around the fitting then used a screw driver to force the tool into the fitting then it popped off......Hope this helps...GL

It's a tough job the first time. Once you figure out how to use the tool and how the little fittings come apart, you'll feel stupid for having such a hard time with it in the first place.

The fuel filter has defeated me. I spent 3 hours trying to remove both hose lines. I did manage to remove that metal clip on the outflow hose, but that's as far as I got. I bought the fuel / AC disconnector kit from napa, and I still could not get it off.

I used the 3/8 disconnector and it doesnt do anything. Also the other hose I'm unsure how to remove it. I removed the top red part but it still doesnt disconnect from the filter. :eek:

I used the cheap plastic ones and it was a pita. But after 2 hours, I got it out. There is a spring inside the line that holds it together, you basically have to push the tool in to release the spring and gently pull the line. check out the vid.

Thanks I did exactly that, but all it gave me was raw fingers. I'm going to try it again. I'm thinking it didnt work because all I did was remoe the #48 fuse, but I didnt start the car to relieve the pressure.

Back