Fuel Filter Relacement

RaveOn

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Hey Gang

I am about to replace my fuel filter. Is there any specific tools I may need to remove the clips on the braided lines to get them off the filter.

Thanks in advance

Yes, you need fuel line disconnect tools. (I don't mean to be flip-- go to an auto parts place and tell them this is what you want.) There is a metal version and a version with plastic pieces of various sizes. I had best luck with the metal tool on my fuel lines (the plastic tools seemed to work best on A/C fittings), but others may disagree-- they're cheap, so buy both if you want. Push the fitting together before inserting the tool, insert the tool then pull the fitting apart while keeping the tool pressed into it. You may want to rotate the tool a little bit as you work the fitting apart to make sure you depress all of the little "fingers" that hold the fitting together.

Before you do this, relieve the pressure from your fuel system by unplugging the fuel pump relay and starting the X a couple times. You should still expect to have some fuel spray out of the lines when you disconnect them-- wear eye protection and keep some rags or a pan handy. Make sure there are no flames nearby, etc.

Thanks 4 the prompt reply. Have a great day!

RaveOn!

I too recommend the metal tool.

Good luck and be damn sure to protect youe eyes.

Back