• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter removal

Danimal86

Reaction score
City, State
sac town
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
how the heck do you get the fuel filter off of the fuel line? I pulled the inertia switch (i think thats what it is...its located where your feet go on the passenger side) tried to crank the engine and it wouldn't turn over...so far so good....i unscrewed the bracket that the filter is hooked to by a hose clamp, and removed the clips that hold the filter onto the line. now, i have no idea how to get the filter off of the fuel line....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

head down to the parts store and pick up a set of fuel line disconnect tools. some are the scissor style, others are plastic.. I personally have had more luck with the plastic ones..

DisconnectTool-01.jpg

there are better ones, but that set is pretty cheap.. Basically, there is a spring in the fitting that needs to be pushed aside.. so you push in the tool while at the same time pull on the line..

there are a few threads on here about it including one poll where people say which kind of tool they like.

~Mark

It is HARD atleast mine was.... I took the time to do away with what I think is a flaw in design.... I cut my line past the braided and use compression fittings to hook up another style filter.

try some carb spray ( high pressure cleaner) spray out the inside of the line / clip catch .road dirt will get in the area the tool has to slid under ...with the dirt gone the tool has a better time at working .

Push the line towards the filter, place the plastic tool over the filter and press it down until the lip on the plastic tool is flush with the fuel line. Pull on the filter and it should pop off.

just replaced my second fuel filter in 2 years on this rig. getting a bit tired of crappy gas.

See the fuel filter removal thread for info and pics...

I changed my fuel filter several weeks ago.. I used a metal tool and needed to squeeze it all the way down with a pair of needle nose pliers.. I tried using just my hands, but I couldn't get the tool in far enough (it needs to go all the way in). When I squeezed the tool in with the piers I could feel the fingers release and easily disconnect the fuel line..

Photo by TAS98xlt
fuelfilter2.jpg

changing mine this weekend, will let you know my progress. the pic really helps! i understand the physics, and thanks for the carb cleaner tip.

de rocha's pic explained it perfectly, dont get the scissor type its garbage plastics are about 12 bucks at autozone, WEAR EYE PROTECTION OR FACE GUARD!!! you WILL get gas on you cause you need the leverage to remove it...

94 sport 2wd: of course do all the steps in the other helpful posts. i couldn't find the passenger side plug, so i just took out the 20amp fuel fuse on the passenger side box. i started the engine a couple of times, then unscrewed my gas cap until i was done. there was no pressure, just lots of leaking. i used the angled plastic tool.

1. take off clips (mine were metal) with screwdriver while it's still clamped.
2. use 13mm(or 1/2') deep socket to remove nuts on bracket holding filter.
3. remove hose clamp on the filter.
4. take off bracket. (i tried to move it back and away, but it ended up falling and almost hitting me (the clamp held it).
5. remove rear fuel line first, so the filter can drip lots of gas into a container.
6. remove forward fuel line (this step was trouble, because at first i wasn't putting the plastic tool all the way into the hose). make sure you're wearing goggles, as this will squirt onto your face a little.
7. i didn't know which direction to put the filter, but just assumed that the arrow pointed toward the engine for fuel flow.
8. do the reverse as above with the new filter, but put the clips on before you put on the bracket. i did the opposite, and had to take off the bracket again to put on the front clip. i used needle nose to spread the clip, which wasn't so effective, but somehow did it.
9. keep the wire bundle inside the bracket.
10. replace gas cap again.

Back