Fuel Filter Replacement Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement Advice

Drumkrazy01

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have, on several occasions, attempted to disconnect my fuel filter using the post. The problem I run in to is that I cannot seem to disconnect the line with the retaining clip that requires the separator toold, in which case I've used 3 different types of separators. Anything other recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my second attempt I resorted to forcing the tool and pulling. worked fine, didnt break anything. its a *****!

In my second attempt I resorted to forcing the tool and pulling. worked fine, didnt break anything. its a *****!

Same with me, had to use a lot of force on the separator.

there a pita...i just did mine about 2 weeks ago with the same problem...try pushing the fuel line and the filter together while using the quick disconnect tool...it should let it unlock then.

I put an open end wrench between the fuel filter case and the tool (around the fuel line) and held the connector. I then used the wrench to lever the tool into the fitting. Once the tool was in the fitting I was able to disconnect the line from the filter.

Mine took me over an hour and a half to get off. The plastic tools are useless.
If you get one of the metal tools with the 4 holes you might have an issue like I did. They size the tool THEN chrome plate it. The plating makes the hole narrower and it will no longer fit over the fuel line. You gotta tape the tool closed and drill it out to the correct size. After that its just a little blood on the knuckles to get it out.

It Helped Me!

Guys, this worked for me, using the plastic tool for fuel line disconnect at filter:

Get a piece of very thin-walled metal tubing just large enough on it's inside diameter to slip over the tubing outside diameter. A used brass cartridge casing is perfect, if correct diameter. .38 Special might work.

Slit a short piece (as long as the pilot on the plastic tool) of the brass tubing lengthwise, slide it into the disconnect fitting, then put in the plastic tool. The thinwall brass expands the plastic just a bit more than usual, releasing the spring-fingers inside the disconnect better. Works for me, try it! imp

I agree with other who said use the METAL tool and avoid the PLASTIC one. There is too much give in the plastic ones when you have to apply a lot of pressure. As was said above...use the metal tool and push the fuel line into the filter at the same time you push in the metal tool. It's a PITA because you need three hands it seems and there's hardly enough room for two hands. It took me awhile to get mine off to. Just be patient....don't get mad and break anything...that is much worse.

yep metal tool... taking it off the first time is REALLY a bear.

Rob

Back