Fuel filter replacement problems.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter replacement problems....

Lebowski

Reaction score
City, State
Crestwood, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer 4x4
I read all 6 pages of the sticky thread on replacing the fuel filter so I thought I'd try to do it on my 2005 XLS 4x4 4.0 with 110K miles on it. It's been 4 hours now and here's where I'm at. I couldn't get that tool to work so I ended up pulling the old filter off which bent the four little spring things on the outlet side. I straightened them out and installed the new filter but the plastic piece on the inlet side is broken and I don't know how to fix it. Can I buy another one of them somewhere? I'm going back out now and am going to try to reattach that side with duct tape and two hose clamps so hopefully that will work. I agree with the guys who said that whoever decided to put it way up there with those goofy clamps should be kicked in the balls a few times. I had a 90 F-150 several years ago and replaced the fuel filter in 5 minutes. My shirt is soaked with gas, there's a big puddle of gas in the garage, my wife is all pissed off at me, and the job isn't even done yet. What a gigantic PITA this job turned out to be. This is definitely not one of Ford's better ideas....:(:(:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the plastic piece which is now two pieces which goes on the inlet side of the fuel filter.... :thumbdwn:

389573226.jpg

Here's the solution I came up with which seems to be working fine so far.... :thumbsup:

389573227.jpg

Just a question: If access is so open to take such perfect pictures, why should accomplishment of filter replacement be so difficult?

Gues it's obvious I haven't tried it yet, but have done numerous other Ford vehicles, Mustang Cobra, pickup, earlier Explorers with little trouble. imp

Just a question: If access is so open to take such perfect pictures, why should accomplishment of filter replacement be so difficult?

It's called a zoom lense....;)

Gues it's obvious I haven't tried it yet, but have done numerous other Ford vehicles, Mustang Cobra, pickup, earlier Explorers with little trouble. imp

When you have a few minutes read all 6 pages of the sticky thread on replacing the fuel filter in a 2002-05 Explorer and you'll see that a lot of other guys have had problems doing it too....:(

It took me going slow obviously until I learned the ins and outs. I can do it now pretty quickly if I had to. I learned the trick to opening the clips and I used the metal tool with the aid of a screwdriver to pop the other side off. It can see how it can cause you to lose patience though. Don't know about the replacement of the plastic clip side. Maybe someone will chime in with some helpful info.

Back