Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Several years and way too many miles later this bears repeating ...

I just have to say two things. First, this thread has been a ton of help. Second, whoever designed these "quick" disconnect fittings should be kicked in the crotch about 30 times.

Four hours to change a damn fuel filter is ridiculous.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would love to be able to complain about how hard it is to take the filter off if I could only just get that %%$^ rock guard off. Any suggestions? lol

The metal rock guard in front of the plastic guard that covers the filter?

Are your bolts rusted or rounded? All it was was 3 bolts on mine and it came right out. 13mm if I remember?

Not the heat sheild the one behind it, the rock guard its rusted and the whole thing just spins when i try. Theres 2 holding it and they are 10mm

Changed filter while trans was out

I saw this thread and was curious why it was long for just changing a fuel filter? Then I read it and I understand why.
It just so happens I am in the process of reinstalling my trans after I rebuilt it. The exhaust is out and the cross member is out. So it made it a lot easier to change it. I used the small white tool to release the fittings.
So I want to thank everyone for the heads up on this thread. :)\
Bob T
:usa:

I started doing this and fought for 30 minutes with no luck. The I came and looked at the forum for some help and found this fabulous thread with opinions like mine about the design. Then I went and tried again with failed results. Easily wasted an hour trying to take the older filter off.

I was using tools like this one Bane of my existence :mad:

Let me tell you this job is 100% about the tool. These plastic tools are too small on the outer dimension to get the springs to clear the filter.

I went to Harbor freight and bought this SAVIOR :D

It gives you the leverage and the size you need. With this I had the filter released in about 10 seconds and 15 minutes later I was finished installing the new one.

I hope this helps someone.

Now back to solving my engine problem.

Fuel Filter Record?

My sister brought me her 03 that has 135K on it and while working on it I find that it still has the original spark plugs, wires, trans fluid, and fuel filter. I r&r'ed the transfer case fluid and it looked like black tar. I think this is excessive but since she bought it new what can I say about Ford durability other than it is amazing. :eek:

I bought my '05 Explorer XLT in September 2014 with approximately 165,282 miles on it. It had almost no maintenance records except a few early oil changes, so I decided to replace the fuel filter today, early November 2015, at 184,131 miles.

I discovered it had been replaced before, as whoever did it didn't fully secure the plastic clip on one end, and the steel retaining spring was also not fitted on the other end because the filter they used was too short for it to work on that side. They used a no name (literally) aftermarket fuel filter that wasn't even the right fit for the bracket as I had to squeeze the bracket back to proper shape to not be loose for the slightly thinner Motorcraft filter. I couldn't use the metal fuel line disconnect tool since the end was so short on the aftermarket unit that was installed, so I had to hack it off then remove the stub from the line before finally re-assembly with a new Motorcraft unit. The heat shield was also missing one of the 3 bolts, so I replaced it. The bolt on the end closest to the rear was not easy and was most time consuming. I had to loosen and later tighten it with a wrench, as a socket wrench couldn't reach it.

I pulled the fuel pump relay with the old filter still installed, then tried to start the truck a few times (it never ran, just turned over after pumping the relay) to try to depressurize the system. A good bit of gas still leaked out, but it wasn't too bad.

The job took me probably 3 hours, mostly because of the hard to reach fastener on the heat shield and having to hack off one end of the crap after market fuel filter whoever replaced it in the past used.

I'm curious to see if my MPGs go up.

I bought my '05 Explorer XLT in September 2014 with approximately 165,282 miles on it. It had almost no maintenance records except a few early oil changes, so I decided to replace the fuel filter today, early November 2015, at 184,131 miles.

I discovered it had been replaced before, as whoever did it didn't fully secure the plastic clip on one end, and the steel retaining spring was also not fitted on the other end because the filter they used was too short for it to work on that side. They used a no name (literally) aftermarket fuel filter that wasn't even the right fit for the bracket as I had to squeeze the bracket back to proper shape to not be loose for the slightly thinner Motorcraft filter. I couldn't use the metal fuel line disconnect tool since the end was so short on the aftermarket unit that was installed, so I had to hack it off then remove the stub from the line before finally re-assembly with a new Motorcraft unit. The heat shield was also missing one of the 3 bolts, so I replaced it. The bolt on the end closest to the rear was not easy and was most time consuming. I had to loosen and later tighten it with a wrench, as a socket wrench couldn't reach it.

I pulled the fuel pump relay with the old filter still installed, then tried to start the truck a few times (it never ran, just turned over after pumping the relay) to try to depressurize the system. A good bit of gas still leaked out, but it wasn't too bad.

The job took me probably 3 hours, mostly because of the hard to reach fastener on the heat shield and having to hack off one end of the crap after market fuel filter whoever replaced it in the past used.

I'm curious to see if my MPGs go up.

did your mpg's go up?

A ratcheting wrench makes life a lot easier for this job(or a least mine). The hanger for the exhaust made it so i could not get a ratchet with socket to take the last bolt off. One thing i wish Ford would have done if have the plastic connector on both sides. Much easier and quicker. I was fighting with the other connector for about 10-15 minutes. I bought a metal tool from pep boys (i think it was "OEM" tool brand). Maybe if i bought a plastic tool it would have been easier.. who knows its done now. I want to see if my MPG's go up a bit.

This write up was a life saver. I just replaced my fuel filter this past weekend. I started off with the plastic tool kit from autozone but that was useless. I bought the metal scissor style from Advance and still had trouble. I ended up having to wedge the open end of my 13mm wrench between the fuel filter and the tool and prying on it.

While this job can be a tad difficult, I have a new appreciation for it after my dad and I replaced a rusty fuel filter on a Chevy Silverado. No comparison. The Chevy fuel filter simply is bolted into the lines, but they rust and you sometimes break lines getting it off and have to replace or repair them. Never had that issue with either of my Fords.

Same with the connections to the fuel pump. Night and day difference.

Some tips on removing the filter.

Another one of those jobs that takes 4 hours the first time and 5 mins when you know what to do. Hopefully my tips would help many of you.

1. Leave the filter bracket bolted to the car.
2. Insert the right sized metal disconnect tool.
3. Use the LONG 90degree angle pliers to fully insert the tool to spread the 4 clips inside the line. One side on the tool and the other side on the metal sleeve on the line.
4. Then, use the 8" or LONG straight pliers between the filter housing and the disconnect tool to keep tool inserted fully while you wiggle the line with the right hand. It is tight but the secret is to keep the disconnect tool 100% wedged in while you wiggle the line.

Below is the image of the said tools and probably the original motocraft filter after 230,000 km.

use the 8" or LONG straight pliers between the filter housing and the disconnect tool to keep tool inserted fully while you wiggle the line with the right hand. It is tight but the secret is to keep the disconnect tool 100% wedged in while you wiggle the line.

Just replaced the fuel filter for the fourth time (150,000 mile tune up) using this thread. Holy crap this job doesn't get any easier. I found the post above about using long straight pliers to be beneficial. My lesson re-learned this time: From underneath the car, reach in from the driver's side, between the exhaust pipe and transmission pan with your right hand to pull on the fuel line while the metal tool is inserted. Pulling apart from directly underneath just doesn't provide enough force to remove. This job is a constant battle figuring out if the metal tool is still inserted and if enough force is being applied to the fuel line to pop it off. Another one in the books for a few more years. :thumbsup:

Lol. That's one I pay "my mech" to do

Thanks to this thread (and I read every single post) I was able to do this in about 20 minutes. The overall time was a little more because I bought both the plastic and metal tools and wanted to try to get the plastic ones to work so I could return the metal ones, but it didn't happen. I tried everything I could think of to get the plastic decoupler inserted far enough but nothing worked. Literally 5 minutes after finally giving in and opening the metal tool I had the filter off.

My two cents: the metal tool worked like a charm. I just used a crescent wrench behind the decoupler to get leverage, pushed the line back towards the filter and voila, off it came. The red clip was as everyone has described, a U-shape with a locking clip. I wouldn't have made a mess if I had my drip pan handy as I was disconnecting the filter, a lesson learned for next time. Some people struggled to get the third bolt on the heat shield but I used a universal socket, an extension, and then went right on top of the exhaust pipe; it was a piece of cake.

Thanks everyone for making this such an easy job for me :)

Interesting, I've read through this thread on changing the fuel filter.... Watched a few youtube video's, none match the filter location on my 03 Explorer Sport XLT 4.0 SOHC.

The filter is mounted in a retainer bracket, one bolt to the inside wall of the frame on the drivers side just in front of the fuel tank. The output port has the fitting that requires the removal tool, the 2 intake ports don't have the red clips pictured, the smaller line has red plastic inside the outer black line, the larger has green plastic.... No idea how to remove them

RenderIllustration.ashx

Found this image on Fords website

Fuel%20Filter%202_zpsbfxkcoar.jpg.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "Sport" is a different truck than the 4-door models (XLS, XLT, Eddie Bauer). BTW, I don't think there's any such thing as a "Explorer Sport XLT"--you're mixing apples and oranges.

Back