• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement?

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I'm going to replace the fuel filter on my explorer, but I have a few questions.
Do I have to have the special tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter, and if so, is it vehicle specific? Do I need new sealing washers (i know some cars need this)? and I don't know how to disable the fuel pressure. how do I do this before i disconnect the filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the special tools which can be had from napa for around $10 (forget the actual price). They are just like little sleeves. It is not vehicle specific and they are listed as fuel line disconnect tools. You simply slip it on the filter's inlet and outlet pipes and push it between the filter's pipe and the line to pop the connection. You won't need new seals. The filter's clamped to a bracket on the drivers side frame rail.

To ease the pressure, just go into your power distribution box, pull the fuel pump fuse/relay, and crank the engine, it will start then run itself out of fuel. You still will get wet when you disconnect the lines, so be careful.

Then put the fuse back in, check for leaks when it is running, and you're good. 10 minute job if you know what you're doing.

Good luck

Iam having the same problem

Okay, so I have the 5/16 qiuck release tool and I stuck it like quarter inch and nothing. The line wont move. Any ideas? I asked the dealership about the size of the release tool. They said to use a little screw driver and push the ear back. Any help would be helpful

Did you take a peek at the fuel filter replacement thread?

fuelfilter2.jpg

You can just slide the cables out off the fuel filter gasket, watch out so that you don't get any fuel on yourself from the cables.. change the fuel filter, and then just turn the ignition on for a while.. pump gas the fuel into the cables again..

/johan

the fuel filter thread, how simple

Oh, I should have know I was not the first person confused by the fuel filter. Great thread, nice picture. I will go and buy a plasitc set of those quick release tools. For once a plastic tool that is better than a metal one.

How often should you replace the fuel filter? I've read conflicting information (The Haynes manual stated that the filter should last the life of the vehicle).

I try to change them about every 30k miles or so.. My Ford Mustang manual (06) says every 36k miles so at least recently Ford is saying to get it done.

~Mark

I'll be darned, I just tried three different metal tools and none have worked for me. No plastic ones around here at the local parts store.

i bought a plastic set at advance auto for around $5 .did not like them to well and for they did not work all that hot so i ended up buying these...

DSCN1095.jpg

with the ampro's i was able to get more leverage on the lines than the plastic ones were offering me ( guess it's different for everybody) but of course they are close to $ 10-15 each ...little pricey if you ask me for a crappy little piece of allumium, but they work like a charm.

oh forgot to add ... the plastic ones worked well on the line fitting on the filter but yet the ones on the tank, i found that the metal ones i purchased worked better for that application ...guess it really all depends on the wear on the catch system inside the line.

LOL, I couldnt get the metal ones to work for me. . . they are just like the ones you are showing above.

OK, I can not get the fuel filter off after trying the metal ones above and the plastic ones. I should be able to simply push the sleeve into the cable right? Well that does not work for me. I must be missing something. Any ideas?

try pushing the filter and the tool into the fuel line together,when you push the filter in a little bit it should make the catch loose enough to slid the tool into ,then the filter should just come off easy,at least thats what i had to do with mine .

If it's still the OEM filter, it may take a little coaxing to get it off. It won't just "slide off easy".

I figured it out finally, despite the warnings I was saturated with gasoline in the face area. This was after releasing pressure from the system however. I have had worse though =)

Aurgh!

okay, i have the tools, and the filter, when i get under the car to try and replace the filter, there is a bracket with a clamp holding the filter to the body. When i take the two bolts off to remove the bracket, i cant seem to get it off, it lifts off, but the bolts can't clear their holes. I dont know if this is normal or not, i didn't see anythign that looked like this in the original fuel filter change thread.
Ideas?

am i crazy? I'm pretty frustrated right now because i just spent an hour trying to change it in the snow. I couldn't get it off, i thought that would be the EASY part.

i think what i did on mine was i had to remove the fuel lines before the filter could be taken out ( i think the fuel lines only give a little bit of movement ..not enough travle to let you just take it all out at once) once igot the lines off i had to undo the hose clamp all the way and remove it from the bracket before it would let me take the filter element totally out of the bracket.

hope that was not to confusing,hope this helps ya.:salute:

thank you boggs1227, I suspected this, but i have never replaced the fuel filter before, i was concerned about doing it that way, but that might be what i have to do.

well i FINALLY got that fuel filter replaced, and it improved slightly. The idle seems to be less erratic now, and it doesn't misfire quite as bad when accelerating. Thanks for your help!
It only took me 3 hours, lol the tool i bought broke, but i managed to get it done anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back