Fuel Filter to Fuel Line clips broke :( | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter to Fuel Line clips broke :(

Pm me your address, I will send you the correct clips for free. That is the wrong clip, what you need is basicly a strip of metal with little branches coming off of it. To install you roll them a little and stick em down in the coupler till they clear the lip. I will post a pic later tonite of what they look like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clips that came with the filter, You don;t need, they are for a different application altogether. The Clip you need is round at the end and has "fingers" that form a sort of CONE shape, so that when you push your filter in, they fall down around the ring to hold it in place. The removal tools can be found just about anywhere, even Candian Tire should have them, probably listed as A/C line Disconnect tool. They are basically a plastic tube slightly larger than the fuel line with a split down one side. You slipe it over the fuel line, push it into the fitting, pushing the "fingers" away from the lip of the filter, and then pull on the filter, should remove the filter and tool at the same time.

Hint: you might have to push on the filter slightly prior to pulling it out, to allow for the tool push the "fingers" completely out of the way.

Thanks guys. No need to post a pic I know exactly what you are talking about. Its just Ive tried a couple places and nobody has had them. I did go to Johns Auto and they gave me the plastic peice and said it might work, so I figured ok (thinking it might have been some after market part or something, or it would work anyways) oh well... I know what you guys are talking about when describing the clip (stupid me didn't put the clip in a safe place and it got list in the class, probably some other students knocked it onto the ground by accident). But thanks again guys, this little problem is setting me back lots and casuing my truck to be off the road longer than I have hoped. I'd be lost if it wasn't for your guys help :roll:

The inner spring retainer clip is pictured below.. Check out the Fuel Filter Removal thread for lots of info and pics..

fuelfilter4.jpg

Thanks you guys... Got the clips at Ford Dearership (8$ a piece *grinds teeth*)... But the clips went in no problem and she started up no problem. So happy to get this problem out of the way. Little question, the bracket the guard the filter, is it important to put back on the hose clamp that goes around the filter and holds it tightley to the bracket? I put the bracket on forgetting about the clamp, just wondering is it important? Does it need to be there so the fuel filter does no bounch around or something and may come loose or is it just there for show? :) Thanks

Raised from the dead (This post is 9 years old). Redphive those are the external clips, the internal clips that were damaged are pictured below. These fit inside the fittings at the end of the lines.

800-017-007.jpg

Haha maybe I should put a timeframe on my google searches :eek:
Thanks for pointing that out, I've used those clips before but they were hard for me to find.

It's all good (y). It took me a minute to realize the thread was that old..

Hehe... sometimes these old posts come out at opportune times...:)

As a reference point, when I needed the internal metal retainer clip, the nearby JiffyLube had them (this issue comes up with some regularity in the oil change business). So if anyone else needs them, and having an issue with the parts store, try talking to a manager of one of your local oil change places.

Back