Fuel Filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

KyleC

Reaction score
I am having one hell of a time trying to get the fuel filter off my '93 XLT. I dont know if I am just a moron and missing something or if it is really stuck. I cant get the fuel lines to disconnect from the filter. I would appreciate any advice on getting this off.

The problem is that the fuel lines on the filter are attached with a special fitting, which of course requires a special tool.

*** I posted this a while back for someone else ***

The fuel fittings outside of the engine compartment are called "quick connect couplings". You need a quick disconnect tool for these fittings. Apparently, according to the Haynes manual I have, there are 3 that may be needed. One tool is for 5/16" fittings, another for 3/8" fittings, and one for the pressure regulator fittings.

1) Pull off safety clip
2) align tool on fitting
3) push tool into the fitting body to release the retaining fingers holding the male tube end.
4) when the fingers release, pull the male end from the female end and remove the tool

Of course you need to check that the fittings were not damaged before reconnecting, and then clean the fitting off.

For reassembly, simply align the fittings and push the male end hard into the female end. You will hear a click when they are securely attached. pull on the fitting to assure that it is locked. Reattach safety clip.

Hope this helps you. If not, The procedure is diagramed in the Haynes manual, along with procedures for other fittings on the vehicle.

Incidently, Ford says the fuel filter will run forever, and it never needs to be changed. Isn't that odd, because that doesn't exist in the real world Dead Link Removed

Back