Fuel filter

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
I was just looking around to get a heads up on how to replace my fuel filter. I was surprised to see when people were changing them - I'm at 90K with the original filter! Not having any problems - just plan to hang on to it for awhile so I'm looking at maintenance items a lot harder now. Replaced the plugs at 80K (none broken for the win - still on original coils) - have a radiator leak that's not causing any problems at the moment but needs to be replaced. Any other items I need to look at to take the Ex over 100K? It's a 2007 so age comes into play even though the mileage is somewhat low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your filter is up under your drivers side on the left frame rail. I would replace it just to be secure in knowing it was done. You will need the quick release tool from any auto parts store to not damage the lines.

If you spray the connections with penetrating oil, and put a little light grease on them, you might have better luck getting that fuel filter off.

Good luck with the project.

Mr. Alligator

I have an '06, and the fuel filter is on the right frame rail about halfway back. No special tool necessary, just squeeze connector with thumb and forefinger. It's behind a couple of protective plates that easily unbolt. Small hands are helpful, took me about an hour. Have done it twice.

Yes what Edwx said, passengers side (same side where you fuel up). Few 13 mm and 10 mm bolts for the heat shields. Don't do it right after driving, exhaust super hot :) Let it cool.
Pull out the fuel pump relay, and try to start it to remove fuel from the lines.

Yeah - it wasn't a big deal. I wish I had put it on some ramps or something - a little tight underneath. No tool needed - I tried to pull some fuses but the truck wouldn't start and I got more fuel out than I expected but nothing outrageous. Any other maintenance items to take care of at this age?

I cannot remember every detail like the filter using clips instead of quick connect fittings. However as a mechanic and my truck goes, I had to replace my calipers (they wouldn't go back in and caused a dragging problem) and bleed all the green brake fluid out and replace with fresh clear synthetic DOT 3. Other than that my 2006 with V8 has clocked 228,000 miles with no major problems. I did have a coil go bad and replaced the entire set with ACCEL HP ones for around $250.

Steve

Mine is also 06, v8 with 231k miles.
I replaced my motor at 200k (unnecessarily).

Watch for those coils, I had them too.
At about 210k miles my tranny would go into a limp mode few times a day. I would loose communication between TCM and PCM. Dealer diagnosed bad TCM which is part of the valve body, and wanted to do complete tranny replacement for $ 4800
I was not convinced with their diagnosis and kept researching. Finally I found same case. Bad or cheap coils on the passenger side would create interference with TCM harness anytime engine was under a bigger load since it runs on top of # 2,3, and 4.
I replaced all coils with Motorcraft and no problem since. I also had the yellow accels. They were good for few months and then almost caused me $5k tranny :)

Steve

Mine is also 06, v8 with 231k miles.
I replaced my motor at 200k (unnecessarily).

Watch for those coils, I had them too.
At about 210k miles my tranny would go into a limp mode few times a day. I would loose communication between TCM and PCM. Dealer diagnosed bad TCM which is part of the valve body, and wanted to do complete tranny replacement for $ 4800
I was not convinced with their diagnosis and kept researching. Finally I found same case. Bad or cheap coils on the passenger side would create interference with TCM harness anytime engine was under a bigger load since it runs on top of # 2,3, and 4.
I replaced all coils with Motorcraft and no problem since. I also had the yellow accels. They were good for few months and then almost caused me $5k tranny :)

Wow! That is crazy! My old dad complains about these computerized cars. He gave up years ago trying to fix them. I do have the timing chain noise when first started but goes away after warm. Saving up to do the guides and tensioners...

On my '07 V8 the filter was on the passenger side body rail, pretty deep in and a little difficult to get to.

Replacement is pretty straightforward once you figure out Ford's clips- you just squeeze and push up if I remember right.

Replaced mine at 130k after I had just bought the vehicle, not sure how long it was on previously. Mine was *severely* obstructed
(couldn't even blow air through it with my lungs). Funny thing was the truck ran just fine with both. Go figure.

07EddieB,

Have you been able to resolve this?

07EddieB,

Have you been able to resolve this?
The filter was replaced without issue if that is what you mean. The point of my post was looking for other maintenance items that a 90K Explorer should be getting.

Back