Fuel gauge inaccurate after fuel pump replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge inaccurate after fuel pump replacement

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
I started a thread last week about my fuel pump going out. I had it fixed, picked it up on Wednesday, and ever since, my fuel gauge hasn't made sense. My truck went in the shop nearly full. I wasn't sure what would be involved with replacing the pump, since I assume it is IN the tank (could be wrong). Anyway, when I picked it up, it read about 3/4 full. Over the next day and 1/2, I ran it down below 1/4 tank, so I pulled in and filled it up. To my surprise, it only took 12.5 gallons. So since then, I have driven about 150 miles. At this point, my gas gauge reads slightly less than 1/2 tank, however, my economy computer says I have about 2/3 of a tank, I have 260 miles to go before empty, and I have been getting about 19.6 mpg for this tank. That kind of backs up what happened when I filled up yesterday with the 12.5 gallons.

So is there something that could have been done wrong by the mechanic that causes my gauge to read incorrectly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m having the same issue. It’s going back in next week for the mechanic to try and figure it out.

Possibly the wrong float assembly connected to the sensor. Sensor assembly should have been part of the pump assembly part number for your vehicle. Sensors can be bought separately though .Whatever it is, it will require dropping the tank again.

I’m having the same issue. It’s going back in next week for the mechanic to try and figure it out.

Did you get the issue fixed, and if so, what was their mistake? I just put mine back in today, but I question the guy's competency.

I am having the same issue on a 2010 with a recent fuel pump replacement...... was there a solution to this?

Whoever installed the new fuel pump screwed up/bent the float assembly that corresponds with your fuel gauge.

Back