• Register Today It's free!

Fuel in my oil 92 explorer

Tremblor

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
My oil level is increasing even though my oil level sensor is leaking oil quite rapidly. it also smells like gas. I have checked my spark plugs to see whether it was running rich, but they are all burning very clean. Where can the fuel be coming from? injector o rings and seal? or lower intake manifold gasket? please help. Thanks

Dustin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one is able to help? I haven't heard or seen anything about this problem before. cracked intake manifold?

The 'X' is starting and running OK?
Has the Gas mileage been OK? Usually this gas smell in oil is caused by a washdown of the cylinders with gas. Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator.
BUt you should notice black smoke out the exhaust.

fuel in oil

i do not notice any difference in running, the plugs burn clean, i check the dry line form the fuel pressure regulator and its dry. no black smoke out the rear at all.

I can't imagine what other cause would pump gas into the oil.

Do you drive a lot of short trips? How is you engine temerature? It is normal for some gas to accumulate in the crankcase. The best way to get it out is run the engine for an extended period at operating temperate.

Is your fuel pump shuting off when you shut of the key. The Gen I X is notorious for a failed fuel pump relay. A bad relay will keep the fuel pump on all the time.

fuel in oil

i had no idea it is normal for gas to get into the oil... i will check and see if the fuel pump shuts off when i shut it down. i have not heard anything yet, but i suppose wasn't listening for the fuel pump. if there is plenty of gas in the oil and i run my truck at operating temps for awhile, i heard the fuel in the oil can ignite and blow **** up.

Check fuel pressure and make sure its not to high. I think it should be around 38-40 PSI.

Fuel in the oil can blow $hit up, not an explosion. It will reduce the lubricating properties of the oil and cause excessive wear on engine parts. The high fluid levels can cause seals to degrade and allow oil to leak.

Gas in the oil is one of the main reasons why it is recommended to oil more frequently in servere duty applications.

You likely have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Vacuum regulates fuel pressure and the diaphragm now has a small leak. Remove vacuum hose and you will find gas. Might have evaporated by the time youchecked it. Vacuum line can be blocked off and the engine will run fine at the higher idle pressure. It may only be at a certain position it will leak. It may take a while, connect it to a tube into a container. It gets sucked into the intake manifold and goes past the piston rings or PCV valve. Fairly common problem. When I bought one for my 92 it was about $65. Easy repair, only two bolts hold it in and a flange nut for fuel return line. Mine never did auto correct the fuel mixture even after 200 miles. I had to disconnect the battery to reset the computer, then it ran great.

The other possibility is a leaking fuel injector. Regardless, the fuel line should maintain at least 25# for 15 minutes after key turned off (engine not running from key on). If it doesn't, there is definitely a fuel leak. I always remove the schrader valve when making a fuel pressure test for most accurate reading. I assume the dry line you talk about is the vacuum line and not the fuel return line.

fuel in oil

Thank you Opera, I will check all those things you mentioned.

Do you overfill your gas tank or fill it with the engine running? another possibility is the gas tank evaporative system. I have never heard of this, but that is a vacuum path from the tank to the intake manifold.

fuel in oil

yea, funny enough i do usually overfill my tank, you know, that extra squeeze after full. ill check my vacuum line from the tank. i checked the vacuum line from the regulator and i pulled the line off while it was running and nothing was coming out.

now that i think about it, the fuel goes in the oil between fill ups.

I think you would get some very bad running symptoms if liquid fuel was coming through the canister. That much extra fuel, I think, would freak out the PCM.

fuel in oil

i checked my pcv valve, which was from 1992. haha. and replaced it. the truck seems to idle smoother and accelerate smoother. ill do a fresh oil change tomorrow morning and check it tomorrow night to see whether the oil smells like fuel. while im at it im going to change my oil level sensor, any tips?

Are you sure it is gas and not transmission fluid that you smell from the modulator.

From my tag line you can see that assumptions are the biggest obstacle to making a correct diagnosis.

Back