Fuel in oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel in oil

furest

Reaction score
City, State
Korcula
Year, Model & Trim Level
If someone can help me with reason why my oil level is going higher.
It smells like gasoline is comming in oil. I changed new spark plugs and changed oil but level went up again.
Can someone give any good idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine will probably require a rebuild to solve your problem. Is your engine running poorly and low on power? How mechanically inclined are you? If you like, and you have an air compressor available, I can walk you through the cheap way of finding internal engine problems.

No engine is running ok, still strong. Starting without problem and rpm's are steady. What do you think is the problem?

Hello

Stuck injector on?

igiveup

That seems kinda contradictory.... Normally fuel in your oil would indicate something like bad rings.... in fact, anything I can think of that would cause fuel to get into your oil would lead to your engine running like poop. How quickly is your oil level rising? When you drained it, was it foamy? Is your engine smoking excessively? Your oil level will rise a little bit when the engine is hot as opposed to cold.... You also should wait a minute after adding oil to check the oil level so that the oil has time to drain down from your rockers to the pan. Could either of those be your problem?

By the way... A little bit of a gassy smell can be natural, just to be clear.

If it really is fuel getting in the oil, the usual "first" suspects are fuel delivery related: a stuck open injector as suggested, a leaking fuel pressure regulator (FPR -- check for gas in the vacuum line to the FPR. Gas in that line means a bad FPR), or high fuel pressure (check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge). As someone else suggested, most of these will cause some other driveability symptom, but it also wouldn't take long to check these items.

Hi Guys
To give update on my problem.
Engine started to work realy bad, revs going up and down and like not all cylinders working at all. Black smoke from exhaust.
All this is happening from time to time, sometimes car is working perfect and then later these symptoms.
What I tried to do so far:
-Replaced MAf sensor
-Removed and checked all injectors
-Replaced all spark plugs
-Replaced sprak plugs cables
-REPLACED COIL/IGNITOR
-checked fuel regulating valve
-checked all vacuum hoses.
-compression check of all cylinders, between 8-10 bars

No faults coming, check engine never comes up. Tried to disconnect temperature sensors for water and air and check engine comes straight away so I think they are ok.
I even tried to replaced main computer but still the same.
Any good advice is very welcome. Or to say PLEASE HELP

hi buck here, i think you have a bad fuel injector, stuck open,, dribble what fuel is left in lines u8nder pressure into manifold and cylinder,, fuel sitting on piston top will leak by into crankcase

Hi Guys

I removed all six injectors and took them to guy who tested them in front of me. Neither one of them are leaking and they are dosing exactly the same amount of fuel.
Only what I didn't change so far it is cranck position sensor. Does anyone have idea if the that sensor is damaged will engine still starts and if it starts can this be cause that engine is runing to rich like in my case because doesn't know which cylinder is in which position? I am so out of ideas:scratch:

If the computer uses the CKP at all in mixture calculations, I would think it would be a very small effect. CKP is for telling the ICM/PCM how fast the engine is turning and when TDC is so it can get the ignition timing correct. I don't see it having much if any effect on A/F mixture.

sounds like bad rings. My other thought is similar to what happened to the 350 in my old chev truck. We were having ignition issues and were cranking it over and over and over again while trying to fix it. Eventually, all the fuel that was being pumped into the cylinders built up and got around the rings and down into the oil. Granted, that was on a 50 year old, non efi truck, but the symptoms are similar. I'd suggest having a compression check done on the motor. If the gas is diluting the oil, you'll probably have some sort of compression loss in the cylinders. Also, have you checked your spark plugs and plug wires lately? If you're getting weak spark, it might leave some unburnt fuel in the cylinders.

I'd be careful with the truck, though. A friend of mine told me about a car he had where fuel was getting down into the oil. Somehow, the fuel that was down in the crankcase ignited while he was driving it and blew out the bottom of the oil pan. I don't know if this kind of thing happens a lot, but it seems dangerous.

sounds like bad rings. My other thought is similar to what happened to the 350 in my old chev truck. We were having ignition issues and were cranking it over and over and over again while trying to fix it. Eventually, all the fuel that was being pumped into the cylinders built up and got around the rings and down into the oil. Granted, that was on a 50 year old, non efi truck, but the symptoms are similar. I'd suggest having a compression check done on the motor. If the gas is diluting the oil, you'll probably have some sort of compression loss in the cylinders. Also, have you checked your spark plugs and plug wires lately? If you're getting weak spark, it might leave some unburnt fuel in the cylinders.

I'd be careful with the truck, though. A friend of mine told me about a car he had where fuel was getting down into the oil. Somehow, the fuel that was down in the crankcase ignited while he was driving it and blew out the bottom of the oil pan. I don't know if this kind of thing happens a lot, but it seems dangerous.

I did check compression and it is arround 9bars/ 0.62psi on all cylinders, on cold engine. It is not perfect but no so bad I would say. I changed already all cables and spark plugs. Lately engine even doesn't start. And then suddenly starts again for few times and after doesn't starts again. When it starts black smoke from exhaust is still there with revs jumping between 700 and 1000rpm.
I am waiting for second hand CKP and will see if that will make any difference.
It is so hard to find parts in Croatia were I live and that makes this troubleshooting hard and long.

My mistake 130.5 psi compression pressure]

Ok guys here is update of this story.
Replaced cranck shaft position sensor 2 days ago with second hand one. On ohm meter old and new one were showing exactly the same, arround 600 Ohms.
After CKP was changed car is starting and running fine. Exhaust is not overheating anymore and RPM are steady on 900. So far everything looks fine. I don't want to be to happy yet until it proves it self in next few days.
Oil is changed with new one, old one was full of petrol.
So after computer change, ignition module, spark plugs, cables, MAF sensor, ignition coil, injectors banch tested so far looks that only problem was CKP.
Now I need to see is my cat burned out after all that fuel which was going down to exhaust. What to say than to thank all of you guys with good ideas and sugestions.

Back