Fuel Injector Misfire? 5.0

MelonMuziq

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
Hello,
Ive found a lot of great info on this site over the last couple of years and finally decided to join.
Ive searched this site and others but have not found my specific issue so Im hoping we can figure this out here.

Problem:
The idle would drop down to about 600 and get kinda rough, then it would go up to about 900 and smooth out a little, then drop down again. These cycles would last from a few seconds to close to a minute.
On take off, it would spit and sputter a little with not much power, then when it got above 2000 rpm it would take off with more power. When driving at a constant speed below 2000 rpm it has a bad misfire. Above 2000 it smooths out but still notice the misfire. The check engine light came on so I took it to Autozone to get the codes. It came up with a P0302 (misfire on #2) and a P0171 (bank 1 lean).

Things I Tried:
Replaced ~ Spark Plugs, Wires, and Coil Packs
Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner while engine was running, none found
Cleaned MAF sensor and IAC valve.
After that it ran worse. Now the idle stays constant at 600 rpm and a little rough. Unplugged the MAF sensor and drove it a couple times. Still idled rough and still had the misfire so not much change other than it did have more power.
Tested IAC valve by turning the steering wheel all the way with the engine running and turned on AC but the idle went down not up so I was told the IAC valve needs replaced. Ordered a new one and will put it on this weekend.
That may take care of the idle problem but Im still stumped about the misfire. The only thing I can think of is that there is either a bad injector or a vacuum leak in a very specific area.
Should I do more testing with the MAF?

Sounds possible, everytime had a bad injector it melted the spark plug tip, check your plugs and see what they tell you

Back