Fuel Injector Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BlakeWinstel

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Ok, so I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, does anyone have a step by step or tips to get the intake manifold off to replace the fuel injectors, I can't even imagine how to start taking it off, no copy and paste tutorials, I know what to do, just not how to get to anything, thanks! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find anything yet? I could email u what I printed out of a service manual for my 03 Sport Trac 4.0. Am about to replace all 6 of my injectors and I have the step by step with pics. Just need an email address.

its a piece of cake. the clips on the top of each injector just pull off to one side.

Unbolt the fuel rail, and ease it up on front then back etc, with any luck all the injectors will just pop up. Next, clean the area (i used a vacuum cleaner). For the new injectors, spray the rubber O with wd40, attatch back to the fuel rail, and push the fuel rail back down wiggling as you go.

Start it up and LOOK FOR LEAKS.......... Several times......

Awesome. Actually my situation went from what I thought was a leaking fuel injector to what may be a leaking head gasket or something and allowing coolant to leak into the #5 cylinder causing the misfire. Fortunately, the new long block I recently bought has a warranty from Autozone so I'm taking back to the mechanic that installed it tomorrow to warranty claim it out. Guess I'll just return the 6 new injectors I bought for a refund. Doesn't appear there was nothing wrong with the 6 I had after all. Man-o-man! I just hope Autozone doesn't give the mechanic the run around. He supposedly does ALOT of business with them so we'll see.

They dont call them swiss cheese blocks for nothing.... 8 water path holes around each cylinder.... and a super expensive 3 layered head gasket.....

Could you possibly take some pictures of what you are explaining, I just need some pointers

Ok, so I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, does anyone have a step by step or tips to get the intake manifold off to replace the fuel injectors, I can't even imagine how to start taking it off, no copy and paste tutorials, I know what to do, just not how to get to anything, thanks! :salute:
Could I get a copy of those instructions please??? That is my next project...

Back