• Register Today It's free!

Fuel leak from Valley

Grizzbearchip

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virgina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
I know this is the lazy way out but its frigid outside and I thought I would ask, are there any common areas to check for fuel leaks? The truck was cold and hadn't been running but for maybe five minutes and I could smell raw fuel so I pulled over and fuel was puddling under the truck popped the hood and it was running down from the valley. That's about as far as I got, I towed it home and shes been sitting since, guess Ill break into this weekend. I guess i'm just wondering where the first place I should check is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would almost have to be from somewhere on one of the fuel rails. It could be a leaking o-ring on an injector or at the endpoints where the fuel lines attach. It could be a cracked rail. I would turn the key on to pressurize the pump and watch to see if there are any obvious leaks. That being said, use caution, and you will probably want a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

I guess thats the plan

With a high of 30 tomorrow this outta be fun, sweet. Thanks for the help

Wont stay running

I found the source of the leak to be the O-ring where the braided line meets the fuel rail, removed the upper intake changed the O-ring ( which was a PITA to find) put everything back together and now she wont stay running. She starts revs to 3 grand all by her self then sputters and dies, also it smells like shes running pretty rich and while its running you can hear a high pitch whinning noise. My best guess is an intake leak but i have removed and replaced it three times now and this is still occuring? Please HELP!:scratch:

Wont stay running

What is the valve that is boltted to the top of the upper intake, i unplugged it and the truck seemed to run better?

That is the idle air control vavle (IAC valve) if you are referring to the one sitting in the center of the manifold. Did you make sure that all the hoses are connected tightly and that they have no cracks or loose fittings?

What kind of fuel pressure do you have... When i bought my explorer the P.O sold it with a brand new engine in it but sold it because he could smell gas. Turns out the smart man he was he double gasket the fuel pump. The tanks do rot though being it they're steel... and 15 years old.

Back