Fuel leaking out exhaust

BeagleMOM

Reaction score
City, State
Blanchard, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
Here's our scenario:

We have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer VIN "K", that had a blown 4.0L SOHC engine. After asking questions on here, we replaced that engine with a 4.0L out of a 2000 Ford Explorer VIN "E". We had to swap out many of the parts, but put on a new timing chain and gears, new water pump, new plug/wires, new FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR, new filters and fluids.

The car starts now with all this, but we are getting some fuel out of the exhaust. What could this be? I am praying that the motor we put in is good and will work (bought from a junk yard, but only has 113,000 miles on it).

Help please!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's fuel and not just condensation (Water). If gasoline burns correctly and is run through a catalytic converter one of the by products is water.

Unburned fuel will smell like rotten eggs, are you getting this smell?

It smells like straight gas and it's running rich

Are you sure it's fuel and not just condensation (Water). If gasoline burns correctly and is run through a catalytic converter one of the by products is water.
Definitely fuel. It's smells just like gasoline and it's running rich.

Unburned fuel will smell like rotten eggs, are you getting this smell?
It doesn't smell like rotten eggs. It smells like straight gasoline and it's running rich.

If you have that much fuel running out of the exhaust you should be having a very bad cylinder miss evident and a lot of black smoke with poor performance.

Re-verify all ignition wires are correct and check all spark plugs are not damaged on the tips are some of the first things I would do.

If you have that much fuel running out of the exhaust you should be having a very bad cylinder miss evident and a lot of black smoke with poor performance.

Re-verify all ignition wires are correct and check all spark plugs are not damaged on the tips are some of the first things I would do.
We have another guy here looking at it now. There are no misses and no black smoke. It looks like it's a fuel injector. Trying to find one now but of course, it's Sunday and most places are closed or don't have it in stock.

I certainly wouldn’t run it that way, not even to drive it to the shop. You’ll ruin the cats on that bank.

I certainly wouldn’t run it that way, not even to drive it to the shop. You’ll ruin the cats on that bank.

Or with that much fuel being dumped you could "Wash Down" a cylinder wall and score a liner.

Once you get it solved it may be best to change the oil again.

All that fuel could have got passed the rings and into the crankcase then thinned the oil out.

That could lead to a scalded bearing.

Back