Fuel Level Sensor - 2003 XLT Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Level Sensor - 2003 XLT Sport

DGOVegas

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife recently purchased a used explorer, 2003 XLT Sport from a GM dealership. The salesman told her that the fuel gauge wasn't working but he would have one of the GM Mechanics take a look.

Long story cut short, they didn't fix it and gave no detailed explanation as to the problem.

A few weeks went by and she took it in to our local mechanic for an oil change and some minor work. She asked the mechanic to estimate what it would cost to fix the fuel indicator.
She was told not to bother because it would cost approximately $1000.00 to fix it. Again, no detailed information provided (I really have to stop letting her go to the mechanics alone :rolleyes: )

My guess is that it is the fuel level sensor in the tank because it decides to 'work' every now and then, especially on hills... the needle on the dash will actually move from its 'ALWAYS FULL' position to a lower position.

Would I be on the right track to purchase a new/rebuilt level sensor and then spend a day with one of my buddies putting the truck on a hoist and replacing the sensor ? (tracing wiring first to make sure it isn't a bad wire - then removing the tank to change the sensor, etc.)
Or should I be looking for something else before wasting my time ripping things apart just to learn that it could be something else?

On the same note - Is changing the sensor cut and dry or is there a calibration procedure necessary after the new sensor is installed?

Ultimately, she was told $1000.00 to fix the problem... does this sound in the ballpark for the sensor to be replaced in the tank, or is the $1000.00 mark pointing to something else?

I appreciate any feedback !
-David

(oops - I think this thread should be in the STOCK forum not MODIFIED, sorry)

Most require new updated fuel pump which is like $500 and then like 4 hours labor.

Back