• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Line leek!

Ecko2056

Reaction score
City, State
Leander, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Ok i've got a 1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT and in the engine bay is a flexible steel braided line that has rubbed against a steel hard line and is now leaking. It's not a pressure spray .. more of a dripping when in park. It's enough to lose MPG. Has anyone with this year/make had this problem before?

I called the ford dealership and they want 250 to 300 freaking dollars for brand new lines.. thats not going to happen. So i'm wondering now if there is an easy fix without replacing the entire set of lines? It's the fuel line that connects to the engine and has what looks like a removable connector.. the line that is leaking is about 3 feet long. Below is a picture of the line. On the first picture, where the hard line is.. right under that is the leak..

SSPX0062.JPG

SSPX0064.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? :(

Post your needs in the WANTED section on this web site or possibly make a trip to a wrecking yard. Either way should produce favorable results.

Charles

Either check your local wrecking yard for one, cough up the dough and get one from Ford or let your X burn to the ground and collect the insurance money. You need to get it fixed! Is the truck worth $300 to you? What would it cost to replace the entire thing when it burns up? I know the part isn't cheap but it is far cheaper than the possibility of loosing the entire truck!

BTW: That is the return fule line. It rins from the fuel pressure regulator (the nut in the 2nd. pic) to the return line on the frame (quick coupler in 1st pic). The line it was rubbing on is a power steering line.

ok ok, thanks for the reply's but i found and fixed the problems.. first, that hose with the leek had a clamp on it that was cutting into some wired which then caused the steel to burn thru the hose .. i got a small fuel filter and bridged the gap where the leak was. so all is good now, total cost was only 20 bucks after the filter and clamps and electrical tape to fix the wires..

so all is good now, total cost was only 20 bucks after the filter and clamps and electrical tape to fix the wires..

Leaking fuel lines and chafed wires?:eek:

Man, this is a sign. Go out and buy some lottery tickets. Somebody up there likes you! :D

Back