Fuel line quick disconnect fitting broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel line quick disconnect fitting broken

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
During my attempt at changing my fuel filter, one of the quick disconnects came apart, the one coming from the fuel tank. The metal locking teeth inside of the connector failed.

How would you go about fixing this? I was considering cutting the metal fuel line, installing a compression fitting with a hose barb on it, and just running fuel injection hose to the filter and doing away with the quick connect entirely.

Thanks all...98 Explorer XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to just get a new clip at the parts house.

I was at NAPA and they weren't able to locate it, at least not by name.

Do you have a part number?

o'reily's should have them in stock. now whether they know it or not is a different question...

I had a similar issue with the fuel lines on my '98 Mountaineer. I simply removed the last foot of metal line and replaced it with a good quality high pressure rubber fuel line. It's worked very well since then.

So what you are saying is that your barbs that are inside the fitting pulled out? I know there are 2 different styles, the plastic clip one, and the metal barb ones. if you did mess it up, you may just want to get a hose cutter, and cut it off, and then get some high pressure fuel line, and put that in, be sure to double clamp the lines though, you can never be too safe.

Yes, on my '97 the clip was rusted onto the filter stem. It pulled out also, but I was able to put it back in.

Help

I had a similar issue with the fuel lines on my '98 Mountaineer. I simply removed the last foot of metal line and replaced it with a good quality high pressure rubber fuel line. It's worked very well since then.

I have the same problem in my explorer 2001 v6, i put the rubber hose in the metal line, but is safe?? what are the pressure of the fuel pump?? i have fear about that because the exhaust are very near of the rubber fuel line. i put 2 clamps in the filter and 2 clamps in the metal line.

regards

My 2001 Ranger has 3 different quick connects going to the fuel filter.
I broke the GREEN plastic clip, following the vague instructions on YouTube.

1 white plastic clip on the engine side. This one pries out. Easy to find replacements.

Push these down. There is a special tool to remove them.
1 plastic connect with GREEN plastic locking clip on fuel tank side. Ford does not sell a replacement.
1 plastic connect with ORANGE plastic locking clip on fuel tank side. Ford does not sell a replacement.

I broke the green clip. The Ford dealer told me that I needed to buy a new fuel line for $130. A car mechanic friend on a motorcycle website posted a photo of the same connector and clip. He pulled out the green clip and mailed it to me. It fit right in and the fuel line clicked togehter. No problems.

I have ordered what I hope are spares.
S.U.R. & R. parts. KP030 should replace the green 3/8" connector. $9 to 11 for 2.
S.U.R. & R. parts. KP040 should replace the green 5/16" connector. $9 to 11 for 2.
Google KP040 and KP030.
If these connectors do not look correct, I will update this post.

This is the connector my friend salvaged the green clip from.

2012-10-29_10-17-44_216.jpg

I have the same problem in my explorer 2001 v6, i put the rubber hose in the metal line, but is safe?? what are the pressure of the fuel pump?? i have fear about that because the exhaust are very near of the rubber fuel line. i put 2 clamps in the filter and 2 clamps in the metal line.

regards

You should be OK but I would use fuel injection clamps, not the regular worm-style clamps. Fuel pressure is between 40-80 psi in that line, IIRC.

If you choose to go with rubber line and hose clamps, not a bad idea either, you can always SLIGHTLY flare the metal line. I did this with my transmission lines when I added an external oil cooler. No leaks and extra piece of mind.

1 white plastic clip on the engine side. This one pries out. Easy to find replacements.

1 plastic connect with GREEN plastic locking clip on fuel tank side. Ford does not sell a replacement.
1 plastic connect with ORANGE plastic locking clip on fuel tank side. Ford does not sell a replacement.

I broke the green clip. The Ford dealer told me that I needed to buy a new fuel line for $130. A car mechanic friend on a motorcycle website posted a photo of the same connector and clip. He pulled out the green clip and mailed it to me. It fit right in and the fuel line clicked togehter. No problems.

S.U.R. & R. parts. KP030 should replace the green 3/8" connector. $9 to 11 for 2.
S.U.R. & R. parts. KP040 should replace the green 5/16" connector. $9 to 11 for 2.
Google KP040 and KP030.

I just broke the WHITE connector clip.. not the connector but that stupid white clip... do we know of a replacement of that part?

This looks like it from the picture:

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Fuel-Lin...&sr=1-6&keywords=Ford+Fuel+Line+Retainer+Clip

Not sure though what size they have that and a black one that is a different size... Mine was the whitish color that I broke.

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Fuel-Line-Retainer-Clips/dp/B0040CVOUY/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

Thanks,
-Nigel

i know this is an old thread, but those white clips used to come with new filters. they might even be sold separately in the HELP section of most auto parts stores.

Thank you sir!

Went to autozone and sure enough they had a 6 pack of two different sizes!

I couldn't believe it honestly!

Now we are good :)

Thought I was going to have to pay $200 for a new line.

-Nigel

Thank you sir!

Went to autozone and sure enough they had a 6 pack of two different sizes!

I couldn't believe it honestly!

Now we are good :)

Thought I was going to have to pay $200 for a new line.

-Nigel

The Doorman HELP section has saved many people loads of money. Saved me more then one time I tell ya!

green and orange ford fuel clips

Google KP040 and KP030.

-------------------

ok, so since this post is old, I wanted to double check with you knowledgable people first...

I broke the damn green clip and am in the process of almost breaking another.

where can i get a tool to remove these??? amazon?

where can I get a green clip? these are what I find when I search online for those above parts the original guy posted about... http://www.walmart.com/ip/SUR-and-R...5-16in-Straight-Push-Quick-Connect-2/32686454

that has the 3/8 and 5/16.

if I buy those can I pull the clips out only?

oh dear, what a mess.

any options or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. my vehicle is the same as this original guy too...but an 02 ranger/2.3l

in ease of sharing pictures, i made a short 4-picture slideshow on youtube of my broken connect, hose end, filter stuff... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jt4CG7AqAw&feature=youtu.be

You don't need any special tool to disconnect those. Just your thumb! Push down (pretty hard) on the green ring (push the joint together some first to make it easier) and it should come right apart. If you are breaking the rings you have too much "angry" and not enough "release tab".

These are all called quick connects, not quick disconnects, as everyone who has ever worked on them has learned.

If someone is switching to rubber line, be sure you are using fuel line that is rated for the pressure as well as the clamps. Not all fuel line is rated for the pressure these systems contain. Most parts stores have two grades, and the stuff you want is a lot more expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the info...it was just too late. I accidentally found out they were push in...so since I broke one I still had to use the replacement kit for the fuel line. I bought a dorman kit at O'reillys...it works good. Just a big pain in the butt learning lesson. :( Thanks again though. :)

Back