Fuel line removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel line removal

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 push rod
Im changing the fuel pump on a 93 explorer and im getting hung up on the removing of the fuel line from the old pump.

I was looking in older threads that mentioned and had a picture of a small plastic tool that fits around the line and slides inside the clips.

where do i get those plastic fuel line removal tools? Is there a brand name for them? I went to Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone and all they have is the metal ones that dont fit!! ive gone to the parts store 5 TIMES TODAY!!

Please Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a standard piece tool.. the autoparts stores should have had them... metal or plastic, the meatl is more duarble... its a tool for ford fuel and a/c lines ... 3/8" size

its 5/16 for the 93' isnt it??

the tool im talking about is the blue plastic tool shown in this thread:
Fuel line thread

Ive broken 2 of the butterfly tools already and this is a removal tool i havent used before,
it would be nice to know where i could get this tool. (or if there is a particular brand name for it).

Thanks

The Autozone part number for the correct tool is 800-309, its price is $3.99, this is the one that works best is kept behind the counter in the hard parts area. They have a couple others in the tool aisle. One is $4.99 and is metal, the other is $9.99 and has a lot of different sizes in it. I don't have the part numbers for the last two however, sorry.

Chris

You can purchase the fuel removal tool at Autozone (but they had a cheapo set looked like double sided scissors made of pop metal, dont buy this one)

There are 2 sizes you will need. 5/16 and 3/8. I bought a pair of small ones that where made of metal. They almost look like a small set of kidy scissors with a hole in the end of them. Scissors without finger holes, opens up like pocket knife.

Where the hole is, there is a side that is flat and the other side has a ridge that sticks out. The side with the ridge slides (mates) into the inner side of fitting. I know this sounds or looks weird when looking at it. You have to remove the saftey clips from the fuel line first. The safety clips look like an upside down "U" one side of the "U" is longer that the other side. There a 2 of them, one for the 5/16th line and one for the 3/8th line. They pop off by pusing straight up on them. They basically clip onto the lines to keep them from inadvertently pulling apart.

Once the safey clips are remover from the fuel sending unit, then take this tool and place over the front of couper of line with the hole with the ridge facing you and place on the line. Make sure the ridge fits in and around the coupler of fuel line and pull it and the line toward you to release the line. It may appear to be difficult to remove at first, because there may be some fuel pressure built up inside the line.

The book says you can relief pressure from the line by disconnecting the inerscia ( and cranking you car for 15 cranks) swith, the cut off switch is located on the firewall, on passenger side, close to the hump of transmission. The switch is inside the car (not outside) and designed to trigger in the event of an accident. It's supposed to cut off the fuel to the car off in the event to crash your car.

Note: I did not relieve any pressure to my fuel lines, but once the 3/8th line was removed, the 5/16th side appeared to be a lot easier to remove. I believe this was due to not having any pressure inside the fuel line. Also my SUV had run out of gas, so I had an empty tank anyway, litteraly only a splash of gas was left inside the tank.

Hope that helps....

d-1

31337 said:
Im changing the fuel pump on a 93 explorer and im getting hung up on the removing of the fuel line from the old pump.

I was looking in older threads that mentioned and had a picture of a small plastic tool that fits around the line and slides inside the clips.

where do i get those plastic fuel line removal tools? Is there a brand name for them? I went to Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone and all they have is the metal ones that dont fit!! ive gone to the parts store 5 TIMES TODAY!!

Please Help

Hey 31337, let us know your progress. Give back to the board and share your experience. By reading these posts, we all become a little bit more knowledgeable based on our shared experiences. So where you able to get the lines off?

d-1

31337 said:
the tool im talking about is the blue plastic tool shown in this thread:
Fuel line thread

Ive broken 2 of the butterfly tools already and this is a removal tool i havent used before,
it would be nice to know where i could get this tool. (or if there is a particular brand name for it).

Thanks

I found the tool at Car Parts Express, they had a set for 9.99 came off very easily!!

As dolphans said DO NOT BUY THE METAL DOUBLE SIDED SISSOR ONES!!

now only if it would stop raining i could go ahead and put the tank back in.

THANKS for everyones input

Keep us posted and make sure your lines are oriented in the exact same position.

Was your fuel pump out, or was it the fuel gauge? When I picked up the part, I asked where the fuel pump was and the sales-person said right there. I can't believe how small they are now.

d-1

31337 said:
I found the tool at Car Parts Express, they had a set for 9.99 came off very easily!!

As dolphans said DO NOT BUY THE METAL DOUBLE SIDED SISSOR ONES!!

now only if it would stop raining i could go ahead and put the tank back in.

THANKS for everyones input

Back