Fuel pressure loss. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pressure loss.

Well injectors are FINE.

Ran it again and it smoked like crazy again after it got warm.

I drained the oil after the first set of injectors i put in because of fuel being dumped into #6 cylinder. I put in 5 quarts and it was a little high. Didnt notice at first and ran it. Still smoked so so i checked to maker sure and it was indeed a little above the full mark. So i drained some out thinking it might just be too much oil. So after that I ran it again til warm and it is still smoking a lot.

I think its definitely burning oil. Sure smells like it.

I scoped the #6 cylinder with a camera and i didnt see any obvious scoring from overheating. Assuming the fuel injector stuck open and washed out the oil. Maybe I burned a ring? But the compression was 147ish on #6 while the rest were around 150psi.

I guess next step is leak down to confirm leakage. Could just be a head gasket. The smoke got worse the longer I ran it. And I let it get up to temp this time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try a wet compression test.

That said, 150 across the board sounds fine...and too high to suggest all the rings in the engine are shot. In my opinion, anyway.

Plus...that smoke is white as hell, is it not?

You can try a wet compression test.

That said, 150 across the board sounds fine...and too high to suggest all the rings in the engine are shot. In my opinion, anyway.

Plus...that smoke is white as hell, is it not?
Ill take another picture tomorrow. I think it has a hint of blue in it but hard to tell. First time for me ever dealing with this smoke issue.

Wanted to update on this issue. Ran the vehicle again a couple times and the smoke seems to be going away. I suppose there was way more residue in the system from that stuck open injector than i thought.

Im calling this a fix for now unless something comes up. Thanks for all the input everyone.

UPDATE:
I finally got around to installing a Bosch fuel pump and will be using the existing assembly as its not rusted. The only thing I found is that there is an orange rubber piece at the tip of the return line (on the assembly) that is torn. Does anyone know what the function of this orange rubber piece is? I dont want to put it all back together if that is going to be a problem.

Pic of orange rubber piece

Also here is the correct part with a better view of the orange piece. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9YH63L/?tag=serious-20

Slows down the flow of fuel returning to the tank to avoid cavitation or bubbling.

UPDATE:
I finally got around to installing a Bosch fuel pump and will be using the existing assembly as its not rusted. The only thing I found is that there is an orange rubber piece at the tip of the return line (on the assembly) that is torn. Does anyone know what the function of this orange rubber piece is? I dont want to put it all back together if that is going to be a problem.

Pic of orange rubber piece

Also here is the correct part with a better view of the orange piece. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9YH63L/?tag=serious-20

Came across this Mustang blog on it:
"There is a thing that reminds me of a duck's bill that fits on the return line where it dumps inside the tank. Its purpose is to prevent fuel from backing up into the return line in the event of the car turning over. This supposedly reduces the danger from fire if the return line is severed when the car turns upside down."

UPDATE #2:

Installed new fuel pump. Seems to be holding pressure at around 30psi or so while at idle and pressure rises to maybe 35 or 36psi when advancing throttle (in park). I have no way of checking it while driving.

After shutdown with gauge still connected it held around 29-30 for maybe 5-10 minutes and now a couple hours later it is sitting steady at 11psi.

I have removed vacuum hose connected to FPR (Return type system) while idling in park and no fuel present coming out of FPR nipple so assuming diaphragm is not ruptured. When vacuum hose was removed pressure was steady at 40psi.

I will try again tomorrow morning and see if it hard starts. After hooking up the gauge and turning the key multiple times today, it seemed to start on first turn of the key. Every key turn pressure rose to around 34psi. Then right back down to 30psi. Still need to confirm tomorrow.

One question I had is what acceptable pressure should still be in the system after sitting over night?

Back