• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pressure problem

gbrooding

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello all, Here is my situation. 2002 Explorer 4.0. Replaced fuel pump. 3 weeks later, service codes 171 and 174 pop up. I replace the fuel filter and clean the MAF sensor. Codes still pop up saying lean bank. Now it has trouble starting and runs very rough. Rough to the point that I can't drive it, it acts like it is running out of gas. Ran pressure test. With engine off but key on, the gauge does not move. I get it started and it's max reading is 20psi. What would be my next step? Do I need to replace the fuel pressure damper?

Thanks for the help, I am at a dead end.

Greg

i had the same problem, i replaced the pump and now i have trould getting the car to start i have to try it 4 or 5 times then it will start and run fine showing 65 psi on the fuel gauge. i am looking at the fuel presure regulator next. when this happens i can hear the pump running and also i hear the sound of fuel running back in to the tank. i am really lost on this one.

Just a thought on this, but does your tool wrench icon appear on your dash? Just curious because it could be the throttle position sensor. I also just read something in the owners manual a little while ago about certain protocol to follow after the fuel pump has been replaced. Unfortunately my husband has my Explorer right now and the manual is in the glove box, otherwise I would go get it and post what it says.

Well, turns out the fuel pump I installed the first time failed. This time I installed the whole fuel pump module, and it runs great. Getting pretty fast at installing the thing, but hope to never do it again!!

Back