Fuel pressure sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pressure sensor

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Well! For a change, I seek help! CEL today, first time ever, '04 Expl., 4.0L, 122K, code reader says: "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor".......

Don't have the Powertrain & Emissions Book, but DO have Shop Manual. It shows the Fuel Pressure and Temperature Sensor, mounted atop the fuel rail. Remove intake manifold to access. Has a vacuum hose connection, and electrical connector.

As I understand the returnless fuel system, the PCM varies fuel pump speed to maintain fuel pressure. I believe this sensor provides the PCM input needed to control pump speed.

Vehicle is running fine, normally, no symptoms (yet) other than the CEL. My question is: If pump failure is coming on, PCM "sees" lower than normal fuel pressure, would it likely call out the Pressure Sensor? Haven't figured out yet how to measure fuel pressure on Gen. 3, all my experience is Gen 2.

Anyone experienced on this? Thanks for reading! imp :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor" code a while back. Decided to swap the sensor completely instead of taking the time to hope and find a more minor issue. Replaced the sensor and code never came back.

please help-ground sensor

I found the ground i just need to know how to get it bACK WHERE IT BELONGS IN MY FORD 2004 XLT.... CURRENTLY NO POWER WINDOWS, NO RADIO, GAS GAUGE NOT WORKING AND BATTERY NOT HOLDING CHARGE

I had the "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor" code a while back. Decided to swap the sensor completely instead of taking the time to hope and find a more minor issue. Replaced the sensor and code never came back.

Thank you, Triton! My concern for this is that within the next week, the truck must be relied on to get us back to MO from AZ. If that pressure sensor really does control fuel pump output (through the PCM), it could leave us stuck somewhere along I-40.

I tried O'Reilly this morning, they list the part, none available at warehouse even. Auto Zone has no listing at all. I erased the code, so far, the troubling light has not come back on, drove about 50 miles today. imp

Back