• Register Today It's free!

Fuel problem

explorerscope

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4D 4x4 auto
Ok here is the thing. My 93 explorer stall a few weeks ago. I had someone working on it and he discovered water was in the gas tank and fuel filter. The filter was changed and gas tank cleaned out. He put back on the tank and the truck was running for about 10 mins or so then it cut off. Later on he called and stated the float was not put in correctly on the fuel pump. I confirmed this because the fuel guage reads way above full when there was only a few gallons of gas in the tank when he put it back in place.

We thought maybe he did not put enough gas so I put about 7 more gallons and it still did not start. Will not having the float on properly cause the vehicle not to start or did some connection jump loose? I am not hearing the fuel pump engage when the switch is in ON position, I swapped the relay and i still don't hear nothing.

Right now, I'm so po (no moneyto afford a mechanic) and I'm thinking of dropping the gas tank to see if I can find the problem myself and possible put the float back in correct position. So far, I've drained the gas tank. Do you think I need a new pump or should just correcting the float solve the problem? I knows nothing much about cars, but I got a service manual and learn fast and I think I can do this, so how hard a task do I got?

Note: before working on the gas tank it ran on 87 regular grade unlead and he said he put in 89 midgrade unlead will make it work better, is this also a problem?

87 octane gas shouldn't cause the problems you're describing.

The engine isn't starting? When listening for the relays, you have to recognize that the computer only runs the pump for a few seconds when the key is first turned to on. It then waits to see the engine cranking before turning the pump on. If the fuel pump isn't running at all, the float problem by itself shouldn't prevent the pump from running. There is a lot more to the fuel pump circuit than the pump itself. 1st thing I would do is get a wiring diagram, then stare at it until I understood how the fuel pump is wired in. Make sure the inertia switch isn't tripped (passenger side of tranny hump just behind the carpet). Check the fuse to the fuel pump. It also seems that the fuel pump and eec relays (both are part of running the fuel pump) fail more often than the pump. So many possibilities -- you really just need to go through the circuit to find where the break is.

explorerscope said:
Ok here is the thing. My 93 explorer stall a few weeks ago. I had someone working on it and he discovered water was in the gas tank and fuel filter. The filter was changed and gas tank cleaned out.

How did your truck stall a few weeks ago? did it sputter and idle rough and kick and slowly quit OR did it stop as if you turned the ignition off??? MrShorty is correct in all aspects....but we need more information on how it quit...

Back