• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump and tank questions.

krykewycz

Reaction score
City, State
Runnemede,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
Hi from NJ, I have a 96 ford explorer sport, my fuel pump went bad, I beleive I need to cut through the floor to change this ,right? but also how do I get the gas which is in the tank , OUT ?????:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should definitely do more checking (PCM relay, FP relay, intertia switch) before replacing the pump. Replacing the pump should be your last option.

AND if you do have to replace the fuel pump, do not cut an access port. Drive the vehicle until you are practically empty if possible; if not, then simply siphon out the remaining gasoline and dispose of it properly. Dropping the tank from the vehicle is actually an easy task, just have a buddy help guide the tank as you lower it down. There are some excellent threads about how to lower the tank, but I would not recommended cutting an access hole. Besides, the whole fuel pump assembly (sender/strainer/pump) unit must be removed and there is not alot of room in its current position. Siphon, drop, and replace. The best, and safest, way to do the job.

AND if you do have to replace the fuel pump, do not cut an access port. Drive the vehicle until you are practically empty if possible; if not, then simply siphon out the remaining gasoline and dispose of it properly. Dropping the tank from the vehicle is actually an easy task, just have a buddy help guide the tank as you lower it down. There are some excellent threads about how to lower the tank, but I would not recommended cutting an access hole. Besides, the whole fuel pump assembly (sender/strainer/pump) unit must be removed and there is not alot of room in its current position. Siphon, drop, and replace. The best, and safest, way to do the job.

Is there a write-up here that shows how to replace the Fuel Pump on a 98 Explorer?

If you cut an access door then you don't need to drain the tank though I wouldn't want it more than 3/4 full. I used about a 1/2'' bit to make side by side holes then used a tin snips. Check more simple things to narrow problem first as advised in earlier posts.

i have a 98 ford explorer xlt 5.0 i am in the middle of changing the fuel pump and i have one fuel line off but i cannot get the other one off from the tank i have several versions of the "special tool" and it just will not budge any suggestions? thank you

Fuel pump cut through

I have an older Ford Explorer ('97) 4.0L OHV 4dr AWD and the fuel pump was going wonky on it, left me stranded and so - on, at first seemed intermittent. ( tested fuses/relays and fuel cut off switch + unhooked the fuel line heading into the fuel filter to see if it was clogged, still no fuel pump action, so in my mind .. it must be the pump or wiring(plugs) back there)

The vehicle is in by no means pristine condition so I went ahead and removed the back seat and performed a cut through with a cut off disk grinder, just to the right of where the 60/40 split rear seat mounting bolts are located(@ the 60/40 split). Anyway this task took approx 2 hours with cold pop breaks and I know was more of an ease to do than jacking the truck up and fighting with things from under the truck.. namely the horrid rust.

The tool for getting the fuel lines off is the same tool used to change the fuel filter and can be difficult to get off. First, confirm there is no debris inside the fittings, look and scoop some dirt/rust out with a tiny slot screw driver ... blow some compressed air in to clean the grit out and then spray some wd40 in there to loosen the metal tabs a wee bit. Next slide the tool in and you should feel a slight "sprung" resistance ... you may need to tap the tool in slightly. It should slide in, roughly half an inch and then you can wiggle the line if needed to get it off. One side of the lines is slightly larger in diameter on top of the tank and may need the 1 size larger line tool setting to make it easier to get off, but is possible without changing sizes.

As a note, you should always take your pump out and THEN go buy a new one ... you may be surprised to find there is many different models. ( my pump does not have the plastic surrounding, and I was very much expecting it to)

oh .. and now I don't fear my fuel pump failing ... pretty much a road side fix with a small tool kit and spare pump. that's all for now - Rob. :ca:

Hi from NJ, I have a 96 ford explorer sport, my fuel pump went bad, I beleive I need to cut through the floor to change this ,right? but also how do I get the gas which is in the tank , OUT ?????:(
Cut an access hole, do not cut an access hole. Ask 10 different people, get 10 different reasons either to cut or not. My personal experience, cut the access hole. Of course if you are twenty years old and don't mind crawling around on the ground, or if you have a hoist and plenty of help, then drop the tank. But, just as previously posted posted, the next time the pump fails, with the hole cut, it will be a two hour job instead of all day. That is just one reason I cut the hole in my 96. Besides, try to get the fuel lines disconnected with the tank only partly down. It's a ***** when there is no tension on the lines. I tried using the metal tool from AutoZone, did not work. Used my Lisle set which are plastic. Spray before attempting to disconnect them.

Back