Fuel Pump Died... Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Died... Help!

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
So the fuel pump died in my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. The cheap shop wants like $800 do it and I don't want to spend it as the thing has 320,000 miles on it, the timing chain guides have been rattling for 200,000 miles and then the trans some times slips and bucks, one day it wouldn't go into gear at all until I revved the PISS out of it while in drive.

I need a new SUV, unfortunately, this is my daily and money is tight SO the pumps gotta be fixed and it needs to last a few more months!

I'm sure it's the pump. If I smack the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone is trying to start it, I can normally GET it started and it would run fine for a week or so. Now it won't stay running more than a minute or two and it slowly died. It will not start at all if you do not bang on the tank so I'm sure its the pump.

I tried to go pull a pump from the local junkyard but we have a TON of snow here and there is like 4+ inches of slush water on the ground under all the Explorers.

Can someone recommend a cheap pump that will work? I'm literally seeing them on eBay for $12 dollars shipped.

Also, does anyone have a guide to getting to the pump without dropping the tank? I know it can be done with cutting.

Thanks!

Opps, probably the wrong section! Disregard, reposting in the correct section.

Back