Fuel Pump Discussion | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Fuel Pump Discussion

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C
Ok, I've hit a road block with my project. Im doing a 5.0 swap with engine upgrades and a 4406 transfercase swap on my 96 4 door Explorer. So in doing so, I need the 2 door gas tank and a high out put fuel pump. So step 1, I got a Walbro 255 fuel pump with the supercharger kit i got from a member on here. But, to me surprise the Walbro pump I have will NOT fit in the stock location of my original fuel pump. My is the one that has the plastic "bucket" on the end where the fuel pump sits. I found out that I require a different Walbro pump for my application.. Ok, fine.. but I also want to replace my fuel sending unit to avoid any possiblity of my fuel gauge quiting a year from now or the wiring completely dry rotting.

Question is, can I use a fuel sending unit from a different year truck or even buy one that is designed for the mexico models? In 96, Motorcraft offers 3 different units depending on if the explorer was a 4 door, a 2 door, or a mexico model? One difference I see is that the mexico one doesn't have the plastic bucket on it and the others do.

What is the difference between a 4 and 2 door sending unit?