• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump DOA

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Fuel pump finally crapped out after 183xxx miles. It stalled out on me on Saturday but fired right back up so I figured it was just a fluke. I drove another 140 miles on it without a issue on Sunday. Then today it stalled out while trying to leave a lunch place and go back to work. Inconvinent but at least I was in parking lot and not in traffic.

Brought it to a AAA service center since the tow truck driver was talking about all these great discounts if you go to them. Well, they're spendy. I'm not seeing a member discount anywhere in their quote.

They said the fuel pump is toast. They want 600 for the pump. 100 for the fuel filter. 100 for an injector cleaning. They said pieces of the pump can get into the injectors. Sounds like a scare tactic. Wouldn't the filter prevent that.

I'm going to decline the filter and cleaning. I'll do the filter on my own.

600 seems steep for a fuel pump. I was hoping for a sub 500 number. I don't know what brand fuel pump they carry but I'll definitely ask.

I assume I should insist on motorcraft only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replaced one last year. total expense was about $90 and about 2.5 hours of my time. new pump, new sock filter, new fuel filter plus $20 for a good set of line disconnect tools. other than the fact that it was colder than heck out, it wasn't hard to do at all.

If I had the time and space, I would try it.

I guess I'm more complaining than anything.

i replaced one last year. total expense was about $90 and about 2.5 hours of my time. new pump, new sock filter, new fuel filter plus $20 for a good set of line disconnect tools. other than the fact that it was colder than heck out, it wasn't hard to do at all.

Where did you get your parts from? Is it a complete kit? I think I'm facing a repair in the near future as well.

The job's hardest part is dropping the fuel tank down to where it can be worked on. Forget about parts of the pump despoiling anything in the fuel system; that's bullshit. The filter would stop anything in the fuel flow, if it were there.

You are at the mercy of the repair "clique", the primary reason why I vowed, long ago, to be able to repair my own.

Good luck to you, in obtaining the fairest deal out of the mess. imp

When you get towed to a repair place you are screwed...
That's why NEVER overlook small issues. Always make time for them, they are a priority. If not, they become big issues and leave you stranded, at the mercy of the repair shops.

I replaced my pump with Bosch plus Bosch sock filter (Amazon). Some $80-90.
It took me two afternoons - hardest part was to empty the tank in my other cars, mower, weedeater :)
Empty tank is hard to get down by yourself (balancing act on the car jack). A full one would be impossible.

Where did you get your parts from? Is it a complete kit? I think I'm facing a repair in the near future as well.

i bought just the pump (not the complete assembly) and the filter sock off Amazon with free shipping. the pump came with everything necessary to install it in a variety of different vehicles. all i needed from the kit was the pump, a piece of hose, a couple of hose clamps and the wire adapter.

some people cut a hole in the floor to access the pump w/out dropping the tank, but it was fairly easy to drop the tank and i saw no point in cutting up my floor (frankly, it seemed like more work to do it that way). i found the near empty tank very easy to get down. it doesn't weigh much (maybe 25-30 lbs). i have directions on doing the job if you want them.

SoNic67 said it well, that long tank is a bit of a balancing challenge but not really hard to do overall. Along with the pump, be sure to check the fuel pump and main power relays under the hood to be sure that a poor pin connection or bad relay isn't an issue. I've had them be the real problem and the pump take the blame.
Be certain to replace the pickup sock and the inline filter it you do the pump.

I just had mine done at a local shop I use when I can't/won't/don't feel like doing it myself - just didn't have the time in this case. Total cost was $370; covered pump, filter and labor. Good luck.

I picked it up today. At least they fixed it quick. But came to $675 out the door...

This was AAA repairs shop. Not a AAA recommended shop but one of their actual shops. I actually didn't know they had these.

That 675 is supposed to include a 15% discount... so yeah they're very expensive.

I'm going to go sit in the corner and suck my thumb now.

Back