Fuel pump help ASAP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump help ASAP!

Miicks44

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford sport trac
Had a start up issue on my 03 Sport Trac and found that it was the fuel pump. Went out to find there was two versions, a 4 or a 5 pin, I bought 4 in hopes that it was the right one but after dropping the tank and unplugging it I found it was a 5 pin, is this just a dummy pin as someone on amazon stated,

"Bought this fuel pump for my 03 Sport trac was worried because dealer price was $400 and dealer pump had 5 pins this one has only 4. After taking old pump out I noticed that the 5th pin is not used in my Sport trac its just a dummy pin so this fuel pump worked great and saved me $250."

Would like to know soon as my tank is sitting on the ground, Thanks!

Amazon Link- http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E2348M...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION], any insight on this?

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION], any insight on this?

Sorry, no. Maybe the extra pin has something to do with vehicles equipped with the driver's info center? I would plug the pump in (dry) and turn on the key and see if the pump runs, or better yet get the correct f/p assembly. I don't know if studying a wiring diagram would help, but it would be a place to start.

Link to free wiring diagrams:

http://search.ebscohost.com/

Use rrcc and rebsco to login, then go to the auto repair reference section.

Thanks, will try to plug it in dry as you said and if that doesn't work I guess I'll be putting old one back in until the correct one arrives.

Thanks, will try to plug it in dry as you said and if that doesn't work I guess I'll be putting old one back in until the correct one arrives.

I looked at pictures of the 4 and 5 pin fuel pumps in the RockAuto on-line catalog. If I can believe the pictures (you never know if you're looking at a photo of the actual part) both the 4 and 5 pin fuel pump assemblies only have 4 wires. The red and black provide power and ground for the pump, the yellow is for the fuel level sender and the orange is the ground for the sender.

The descriptions give no clue as to what the difference is between the 4 and 5 pin pumps.

If the pump runs, also check the operation of the float (by gently lifting the arm) to see if it makes the fuel gauge work.

Airtex E2348M

I have that same pump in my 2002. I installed it a few months ago. Works fine. I also noticed the pin issue, but didn't think much of it. I haven't had any problems with the pump itself, but the fuel level sender on the new pump isn't reading full at the gauge like the old one did. When I fill up my tank (I fill until it splashes out) the old level sender went up past the full mark. The new level sender doesn't even touch the full mark. I'd keep the level sender from your old pump as a spare if I were you. Other than that you'll be fine.

11329870_10152992705848178_8452462661198831748_n.jpg

11392810_10152992705888178_1590566649809540406_n.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that they changed from a 5 pin to a 4 pin and they are interchangeable.

Thanks for all of the input I did in fact just put 4 pin in and it worked fine. Will also keep old fuel level sender.

Thanks for all of the input I did in fact just put 4 pin in and it worked fine. Will also keep old fuel level sender.
hi there. im have the same problem you describe about the 4 pin and 5 pin. any issues upto know if you still have the vehicle? i cant find the 5 pin anywhere

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 203

IDK what's up with the 4 vs 5 pin connectors, but the pump only requires two wires to run properly (a power and around) and the fuel level sender only needs one wire (+ maybe it's own ground). As other's have said the 4 wire seems to work fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck to anyone installing an AirTex fuel pump. The first fuel pump I ever installed was an AirTex and it barely lasted 10,000 miles before leaving my daughter stranded. Fortunately she was at the end of my 1,000 foot driveway when it happened. I replaced it with a Bosch fuel pump and I've since installed 6 more Bosch pumps with no issues. I'll never touch an AixTex pump again. AirTex are well known to be problematic.

IDK what's up with the 4 vs 5 pin connectors, but the pump only requires two wires to run properly (a power and around) and the fuel level sender only needs one wire (+ maybe it's own ground). As other's have said the 4 wire seems to work fine so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck to anyone installing an AirTex fuel pump. The first fuel pump I ever installed was an AirTex and it barely lasted 10,000 miles before leaving my daughter stranded. Fortunately she was at the end of my 1,000 foot driveway when it happened. I replaced it with a Bosch fuel pump and I've since installed 6 more Bosch pumps with no issues. I'll never touch an AixTex pump again. AirTex are well known to be problematic.
Thanks a bunch man. I'd been looking for a week w tank on the ground. I appreciate the quick response.

I just bought the four pin as that is all I can find. The five pin seems to have a module 1L2U-14A069-AA in the wiring harness. Looking up that number seems to look like it turns the four wires of the pump assembly to add the fifth pin for the low fuel light.

Back