Fuel pump locking ring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump locking ring

tbs1967

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Several months ago (around last November when the weather was cooler here in Norfolk, VA), I replacd my fuel pump. No issues until a few weeks ago when outside temperature reached around upper 60s. When stopped at a traffic light or stuck in traffic after engine warms, X runs really rough. Half the time it stalls half the keeps sputtering or it fixes itself and runs normal. Then a few seconds or so later it continues to run rough and sputtets. Truck accelerates slowly until it reaces high enough rpms and then jerks to speed up. After 15-20 mph, truck runs good until I slow down or stopped at a light. No bad smell indicating a bad catalytic converter.

I normally don't fill my tank. But last week was an exception. As soon as the tank was filled, gas was spilling from atop of tank. I was able to peak through a small clearance and noticed the fuel pump locking ring is loose. (I guess I didn't tighten it enough and it's a project for this weekend.)

CAN THE BEFORE MENTIONED LOCKING RING CAUSE ISSUES WITH ENGINE RUNNING ROUGH DURING WARM WEATHER?

Thus far:
>Replaced the ECT sensor, egr valve, dpfe, and fuel pump relay.
>Checked resistance and voltage readings from IAT, TPS & MAF. Good air flow.
>No CEL.
>Fuel pressure and vacuum checks out normal until it runs rough and sputters. Pressure and vacuum reading fluctuates consistently with engine conditions.

Recently I heard a commercial that a loose gas cap can cause symptoms of a bad catalytic converter. Interesting because the symptoms I mentioned above are consistent with a bad catalytic converter(?).

So, what's wrong? Thanks so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, what kind of fuel pump did you put in?
IF the answer is anything except A: Motorcraft, B: Delphi, and (maybe)C: Carter, you may need to do the job over again.

Cheap pumps, mainly Airtex brand, simply do not hold up in a vehicle more than a few months up to a year.

I'd suggest checking fuel pressure to get an idea of what's going on. The fuel leak needs to be fixed, but the way the emissions is setup on the older explorers, I doubt that is the cause of the rough running condition.

Benjam :D

fuel pump replacement lessons learned

I replaced the fuel pump with an Autozone Airtech fuel pump last December. Thankfully it has a lifetime warranty. Replaced it today and I have a better giddy up. Also, the X starts up easier when engine is cold. However, after replacing the pump, I received a code 543 (fuel pump ckt failure) and 214. But after driving it around for a while, the CEL went away.

My original complaint was the X running poorly in warmer weather. It's still cool here in Virginia, so I'll find out when warmer weather hits if replacing fuel pump fixed it.

With respect to the licking ring being loose, I failed to install the 3 or so inch O-ring or gasket which gave more freeplay for the locking ring. No wonder I couldn't get it in tight back in December. Also explains why gas overflowed that one day I filled it and the heavier than normal gas smell.

Cheap pumps, mainly Airtex brand, simply do not hold up in a vehicle more than a few months up to a year.

I have had good luck with Airtex pumps so far, I like that they are made in the USA and heard good things about them. What have you heard?

Tbs1967, I had issues with the lock ring too. Realized the third time around that two of the o-rings that the kit included were actually different, despite looking alike, and I had installed one that was too thick. Additionally, I had to replace my rusted stock lock ring with a new one. They are pretty cheap and sold at NAPA.

From my own experiences and working in a shop, Airtex pumps seem to be on borrowed time..

In my 92, I would be doing the airtex pumps every 6-9 months. After the 3rd time with that I put in a Carter from NAPA. I'm a little over a year now on the carter and hoping it holds up. I have a delphi waiting to go in when the carter bites the dust.

My dad's 99 suburban, once a year we would replace the airtex pump.

Just my 2 cents here..

From my own experiences and working in a shop, Airtex pumps seem to be on borrowed time..

In my 92, I would be doing the airtex pumps every 6-9 months. After the 3rd time with that I put in a Carter from NAPA. I'm a little over a year now on the carter and hoping it holds up. I have a delphi waiting to go in when the carter bites the dust.

My dad's 99 suburban, once a year we would replace the airtex pump.

Just my 2 cents here..

Thanks for the info! I have an Airtex in my 4-door Explorer now, about 9 months old. We'll see how it goes. My 2-door Explorer has the original Motorcraft pump still in it at 180K miles. But, so far my 2-door has been as reliable as my 4-door has been unreliable. Tuesday and Friday trucks perhaps? :D

I do know that I had a new Bosch pump fail within two months. Never buying another one of theirs. "New and improved turbine design", my butt.

My brother is an assistant manager at Autozone and he told me the Airtex fp have a high failure rate. (Now he tells me after the fact.) Thankfully Airtex has a lifetime warranty.

Perhaps Airtex made a bunch of bad pumps wether it was poor manufacturing practice or bad components or all of the above. On a business point of view, I'm sure the suits at Airtex are asking themselves why are these pumps failing? One of two things are gonna happen: they can fix their issues and and stay in business or not do anything and Autozone gonna cut them off and Aitex will go under.

Now that I have dropped the tank twice, it's not a real burden. Yesterday less than two hours. A few more pointers:
+Have the correct fuel line disconnect tool. 3/8" & 5/16"
+ Remove left rear tire for more working room.
+ when installing the hoses use ky jelly or vasciline. Also line up the clamps where a long screwdriver can reach it.
+ A transmission lift works good to lower the tank.
+ Jack up vehicle high enough so the tank can come out. (With the tank removed from under the truck, it's easier to remove the old fp and install the new one especially the new o-ring. THE LOCKING RING MUST BE TIGHT!)
+ Use metal fuel line safety clips. The same ones that are used for fuel filter.
+ Make sure the vacuum line is attached.

SOLVED!!!!!!!!! Thank you all.

Finally warm weather to really test the ex. Runs great. I'd never thought that I had another bad fuel pump. Or perhaps the locking ring wasn't tight to begin with.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Back