Fuel pump/pressure question....offroad retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump/pressure question....offroad retrofit

Scott385

Reaction score
City, State
Menomonie, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
early 90s
94 4.0 Exploder. When I dropped the fuel tank the fittings ontop of the tank were rusted bad and cracked. I cut the back end of the vehicle off since it was jacked up anyways and am making an offroad rig. I've got tons of room and can mount any tank I want now. BUT...got a question about the fuel pressure. From searching I found stock is about 60psi at the fuel rail....correct? As long as I get a tank/pump from another vehicle that also needs about 60psi I should be good?? My dads got a bunch of older cars but most don't use that high of pressure (30ish), so they wouldn't work....?? And don't say go buy another pump as that won't work as the metal piece in the tank is also rusted to nothing :thumbdwn:

And a pic so you can shake your head and say wtf :thumbsup:

P6170561.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC 30-40 output from the regulator is normal for the 1st gen (30 is low).

I know the pump can put out quite a bit more.. When our regulator went we had 60+psi going to the injectors.. (It ran really rich like that).

~Mark

Hmmm so closer to 40...that'll give me more choices. I had just searched any everything kept saying 60+

Jeep Grand Cherokee tank/pump works great. Hooked it up and it fired up right away and ran good. Then totally randomly it just started running bad then died. No power to the pump (checked at the oem plug for the tank) but the relay was functioning correctly. Somewhere, something was killing the power. I tired tracing the wire but gave up around the ABS controller. Is there some sort of stupid crash/rollover sensor that shuts off the pump?? I just ran a new wire from the relay back so it works now...but still want to know what happened.

Yes, there is a sensor in the front passenger side foot well, directly below the A/C & heater box.

There is a red 'reset' button on the top of the sensor. Which is REALLY just pushing a steel ball bearing back into magent at the bottom of the cone that is resides in.

Ryan

Fuel pressure will be 30-40 depending on vacuum on regulator...

You can use any number of in tank pumps... On most of the Rangers and Explorers I have worked on and converted to v8 power, I would use an 87-93 Mustang pump...I have also used the tank and pump from Crown Vics and even a later model Ranger with the one pump in the tank instead of the two pump setup..You can drop them into the tank and attach a high pressure rubber hose to it although I would recommend using the sending unit as a holder!!!

Besides, as Maniak already stated, the pump will output a LOT higher pressure depending on the regulator function...

Yes, there is a sensor in the front passenger side foot well, directly below the A/C & heater box.

There is a red 'reset' button on the top of the sensor. Which is REALLY just pushing a steel ball bearing back into magent at the bottom of the cone that is resides in.

Ryan

Yup that was tripped. I was doing some custom sledge hammer tire fitting at the front cab corners which probably set it off or put it on a hair trigger. Good thing I bypassed that. Guaranteed that'd trip at the absolute worst moment when offroading.

You can use any number of in tank pumps... On most of the Rangers and Explorers I have worked on and converted to v8 power, I would use an 87-93 Mustang pump...I have also used the tank and pump from Crown Vics and even a later model Ranger with the one pump in the tank instead of the two pump setup..You can drop them into the tank and attach a high pressure rubber hose to it although I would recommend using the sending unit as a holder!!!

Besides, as Maniak already stated, the pump will output a LOT higher pressure depending on the regulator function...

This tank was pretty much junk, well the metal ring was horribly rotted at least. I just used what selection I had....and we don't have any other fords. My jeep was the perfect donor since it's on jackstands, w/o axles to get 4 linked, the tank was stupid easy to remove, and I wanted to take it out and put a fuel cell inside since it hangs down so low.

Back