• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump pressure ? ? ?

ronchy1962

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona----Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 1998 explorer 4.0 sohc. I am having fuel pump concerns. Because this is a sohc engine,I have read,in different places that the pump pressure is 64-75psi and in other places 30-45psi. Can anyone tell me the correct psi. rating? I checked the fuel pump pressure key-on 36psi,running 33psi.,key-off 28psi. My problem, is sometime the engine will start on the first try and other times it take several key on-off cycles before it will start. Sometimes it coughs, sputters,chokes then dies.
I sure hope someone can help me,before I install a new fuel pump, in hopes this is the solution. Someone suggested the cps. I am afraid to let my wife drive for fear of her getting stuck.
Thanks for the replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it correct in saying a 1998 explorer 4.0 sohc fuel pump pressure is 30-45psi and a
1999 explorer 4.0 sohc fuel pump pressure is 60-75 psi
My pump pressure is 36.5 key on,33 running,28 key off.
I left the pressure gauge attached.After 24hrs, the gauge reads 15psi. Turned key on,gauge went to 36.5,engine on 33psi, 3000rpm 31psi,engine off key off 28psi.
Does this sound like a fuel pressure problem,or maybe a cps,or maybe a PATS.
I was about to change the fuel pump,but now I am not too sure. Somebody,PLEASE HELP

....... My problem, is sometime the engine will start on the first try and other times it take several key on-off cycles before it will start. Sometimes it coughs, sputters,chokes then dies.
.........Someone suggested the cps.......
I doubt if it's the CPS; that would trigger a code and
MIL.

The symptoms you describe can very well be from a
bad fuel pump. I just went through this on an 04
Ranger; same symptoms. First things to check of
course, are the fuel pump relay and the inertia switch.

On my Ranger, the pressure checked good, as did the
leak-down. The problem was in the initial turn-on of
the pump. I plan on taking the old pump apart and
trying to see why these pumps fail prematurely. Mine
had only 61K miles on it....

Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply. The pressure is just within specs. I am going to replace the fuel pump assembly. I found a link on accessing the pump by cutting an access hole in the floor,don't have to drain the tank.
I was going to purchase a FORD replacement. But, due to the warranty, I found a replacement,considerably cheaper and with a lifetime warranty. And with the access hole, R&R should be easy,if it comes to replacing the replacement. LOL

Back