Fuel pump problems

fisher972002

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
All,
I've read through lots of threads by searching fuel pump.
1992 Explorer, 158K, Fuel pump doesn't sound anymore.. Inertia switch is ok, Relay is ok.. It quit at the store, waited about 20 minutes then it started up, drove home nad now won't start.. Can't hear fuel pump like normally do...

Bled fuel pressure from Shrader valve it fell down to nothing.. Turned key on tried starting, no pressure..

So, looks like I'm looking at a new fuel pump, can any of you who have done this chime in for any good pointers about dropping the fuel tank?

Do you disconnect the electrical connector and the fuel lines then drop the tank, or drop tank then unhook?

Bad thing is I just replaced the fuel filter 2 days ago and I just filled it Full of gas..Ugh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before replacing the pump, I'd finish verifying that the circuit is intact. Does it have +12 V at the tank connector (just behind the tank, above the rear axle)? Is the ground connection good?

When I did mine, I bought one of those cheap siphon pumps and used that to get most of the gas out of the tank. It took a while, but it made the tank a lot lighter.

The electrical connector you can access before you drop the tank. You have to drop the tank some before you can get at the fuel lines to disconnect them.

Beyond that, I just followed the procedure in the DIY manuals.

Shorty,
No I haven't done that yet, Ok, I'll try that.. So you lower the tank a little bit if I find 12V.. You lower the tank a little bit then you disconnect eveyrthing, ok

Shorty,
Where is the DIY manuals? On this site? I searched all the the useful threads and found threads talking about fuel pump and there were spotty 'dropped tank' and some pictues.. I guess maybe Im making it more complicated that it is, it must be pretty obvious how to drop the tank, is there any special tools needed is what I"m after I guess.

check out autozone.com. They have a great (and free) repair guide for the ex. It has a nice section on fuel pump replacement.

oh..and don't forget to check the fuel pump relay. Common failure that could be causing the problem.

Shorty,
Where is the DIY manuals? On this site? I searched all the the useful threads and found threads talking about fuel pump and there were spotty 'dropped tank' and some pictues.. I guess maybe Im making it more complicated that it is, it must be pretty obvious how to drop the tank, is there any special tools needed is what I"m after I guess.

Lots of threads on this.. maybe too many causing too many hits without the info you're looking for.. Check out the thread below.. good info on draining the tank and replacing the pump.

Droping the fuel tank & Replacing the fuel pump

fisher, any chance your truck is a 5-speed?

De Roach,
There you go.. That's the place on the site I was looking for.. I had it previously bookmarked and lost it.. That's what I was looking for, Thanks bud..

Ranger

Nope mine is a A4LD Automatic. We did work on a 1993 5 Speed 2wd Explorerer.. my brother is a Ford Master Mech now, but when he was in school he used it in class, they took apart the manual tranny and only the 1st gear was bad and starved of Gear oil, so replaced that gear and the rest were ok.. If I remember right, it got low on gear oil, so of course the 1st gear is the 1st to starve itself of oil and it fried, but the rest of the tranny was ok..That 5 speed shifted nice after we were done with it..

As you haven't guessed, he's not helping me w/fuel pump..

Ok,
All Done, started right up... Wow, actually replacing the pump was the easy part once you got the tank down. All the bolts went out pretty good, except the one on the rear strap holding the back of the tank, that one was really hard, but I don't have a lift.

I put the front up on ramps, then jackstanded the rear to give my more room to move around.. I didn't drop the driveshaft and I don't think you have to , I had to put on a 5" extension and a 2" extension and then the 13MM Deep and then used breaker bar to get the bolts started to unloosed....

Also on the front strap, the strap on the protection plate, go ahead and put vice greps on that, with the curve of the vice on the plastic, and that will hold the strap as you unloosed it wants to twist..

Other than that pretty straight forward... backing off the plug off the frame, just hit with a punch and back out the plastic and it comes right off....

If any of you do this, just go ahead and buy the whole sump assembly and get a new retaining ring from the dealer $13.94.. Because you most certainly will bend the old rusty one getting it off....

GL< thanks for all you help guys.. Have an arctic front coming through Iowa,.. I love these explorer's in the winder.. The heater kicks butt and They will start in the deadest of cold!

Now I can't even hear my new fuel pump except at first startup.. The old one was so loud and humming.... LOL.. I guess I'm happy it went out now rather than on the way to canada fishing trip.

Glad to hear you button it up relatively easily... :thumbsup: Usually one small issue becomes a major headache when trying to work on the fuel system..

Back