Fuel Pump Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Problems

dallasb53

Reaction score
the other day my 2004 Sport Trac died while i was driving down the road.
i towed it to the house, and determined the fuel pump was bad by:
1) listening to the tank (no buzzing when key is turned to run)
2) checked the fuel pump fuse, still good
3) checked the relay connections for power, got 1 always hot... 1 hot with key in run position
4)checked for power on the female connection and got battery voltage on 2 wires y/wh and gr/pk
5)replaced fuel pump and filter and still no buzzing when key is turned in run position
6)replaced new fuel pump with a newer fuel pump... to no avail

i guess my two questions are 1)what else should i check and 2) what are the y/wh and gr/pk wires for? haynes doesnt have a wiring diagram for it(go figure right)

... any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly/probably the fuel pump driver module. You checked the inertia switch under the dash, right? I sent you some diagnostics and wiring connector pin-outs.Check your gmail.

did it work?

I have had similar problems but havent replaced the pump yet. looking to diagnose fully before purchacing one. maybe I can get the diagnostics / diagrams from you as well

Sure Jason, just sent it.

I think it's the inertia switch. When my son accidentally kicked mine (on my old '05 Trac) with his size 13's I had to hit and/or hold the reset button a bunch of times before it finally started. Later I got a check engine light, although it still ran, took it to the dealer and it was the inertia switch.

Back