• Register Today It's free!

Paulyy___g

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT V8
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

So to start True Blue has sat parked for the last 2 years as I was ignoring her front end suspension horror show. This summer I decided I needed a new project and went to work on the suspension. Got it all fixed up and waited a little longer before taking it for an alignment. I would start it here and there and in that time I had once let it run too long and it ran out of gas. So week or two later as I was driving it to the alignment shop, the engine started acting as if it wasn't getting enough gas, sort of putting around stuttering and staying low in RPM's. After a bit of this it finally gave up, luckily in the yard of a local mechanic.

From here out luck is nowhere to be found. Mechanic tell me it's the fuel pump and he needs $750 to do it. So I say thank you no, and promptly order a pump from rockauto for $60, which was a Precise fuel pump. I proceed to drop the tank, making sure to disconnect the fuel filter lines, etc, etc. Dropped it and replaced the pump exactly by the book. Reconnected everything til it clicked. Go to turn the car on, first turning the key three or four times to prime the pump and I don't hear it click on and the engine still won't start. Checked the relays, fuses, still nothing. Inertia switch looks great. It has to be something with the pump.

I'm planning on dropping the tank tomorrow and making sure everything's connected right but am curious what to look for next in case everything is correctly assembled? I'm gonna buy an electric meter to test connections like I've read on previous posts, but if anyone has any advice or has had this problem before and can offer a hint or two I'd greatly appreciate it. Love this site, gave me the confidence to tackle the whole front suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, cautions, advice, etc... All very much appreciated btw

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, cautions, advice, etc... All very much appreciated btw
fuse and relay box under the hood behind the battery fuse number 26 fuel pump fuel pump relay 48 and did you push the button passenger side wall foot panel is an emergency shut off switch

fuse and relay box under the hood behind the battery fuse number 26 fuel pump fuel pump relay 48 and did you push the button passenger side wall foot panel is an emergency shut off switch

Yes I've got the fuel pump running now but the engine still won't start. Waiting on a new intake manifold as I've got the leaking thermostat problem and I'm going to change the crankshaft position sensor while I've got the belt off so I can move the AC compressor that's in my way

Yes I've got the fuel pump running now but the engine still won't start. Waiting on a new intake manifold as I've got the leaking thermostat problem and I'm going to change the crankshaft position sensor while I've got the belt off so I can move the AC compressor that's in my way
so what was the issue with it

so what was the issue with it
Had to replace the whole fuel pump assembly not just the pump motor. Wasn't getting pressure at the rail with just the motor but once I changed out with a whole new assembly I was able to get fuel pressure at the rail but still no start

Had to replace the whole fuel pump assembly not just the pump motor. Wasn't getting pressure at the rail with just the motor but once I changed out with a whole new assembly I was able to get fuel pressure at the rail but still no start
pressure regulator???

Was wondering that too. You're talking about a fuel injector pressure regulator, correct? Might as well change that out too while I've got the intake manifold out.

i believe it is ...not sure thats the issue you have power to the injector and coils??
Yes. Brand new spark plugs, coils are good. Noticed coolant in #5 cylinder that's why I'm changing out the intake manifold. Figure might as well do it now

Gonna clean out the fuel rail and fuel injectors really well once I have them off and replace all the o-rings on the injectors. I doubt there is a way to test the pressure regulator so I'll just replace it. It has to be a fuel issue, engine ran beautifully before running out of gas one day

i believe it is ...not sure thats the issue you have power to the injector and coils??
fuse #41 spark plug coils....hate to throw parts in that you may not need always check easy stuff first

Already checked every fuse, wish it was that simple

fuse #41 spark plug coils....hate to throw parts in that you may not need always check easy stuff first
fuel filter could be clogged you said it had been sitting a while

I certainly will, I've read so many posts with similar problems and only 1 out of every 10 will post what their solution was. This forum has been good to me so I'm looking forward to being able to help the next guy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE:

In the time since my last posts I've replaced the intake manifold since it was leaking coolant and might as well fix it now, replaced all the ignition coils with brand new ones, brand new crankshaft sensor and new spark plugs along with the new fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. I also cleaned the fuel injectors and fuel rail really well while I had them out when I changed the manifold. Engine turns over but will not run. On the first time turning it over it started and ran for about 3 seconds before dying again. I'm stumped and really to a point where I'm ready to give up. My fuel pressure is where it is supposed to be. Gonna test the compression next as well as order an obd scan tool to make sure it's not a problem with my key as I've read another poster had. Any help or suggestions please, I've about had it

Back