• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Questions

strocket

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
Ok guys quick question. What Ford vehicles interchange with our Sport Trac Fuel Pump? I want to get a higher flowing pump for the new motor but im trying to stay "intank". Also did Ford come out with different size push-lock fittings? Im also changing the stock hard line to steel braided. If they make different size fittings then I should be able to get a bigger size so I can run bigger lines right?? Let me now what yall think!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get a 190 lph walbro unit and sock ( install kit)

you might need to crimp some connections but other than that it's a pretty straight forward swap. Most pumps used in cars these days are very similar.

The pump I use, Walbro 342 is a 255 lph pump, and is exactly the same thing as what is being sold by a vendor on a Honda Forum for instance.

Yours is a returnless fuel system, be sure to get a returnless pump and install kit.
Contact James, he'll hook you up

www.hensonperformance.com

BTW
I have stock fuel lines from the tank to the fenderwell, and so far during tuning my fuel injectors are running about 35% capacity ( 42lb) and there is no hint of fuel starvation. I have a highly modified 347 v8.

the fuel lines are probably not going to be a concern for a long time.

Thanks JTSmith!! The only reason I want to get that steel braided line is cause I can get it cheap and becuase I need to reroute the lines for the suspension. So they have to come out anyway. If I get that high flow pump will I need to run a regulator for that Carb? Do you have any recomendations on what fuel filter I should use? Should it be high flow as well?

Thanks JTSmith!! The only reason I want to get that steel braided line is cause I can get it cheap and becuase I need to reroute the lines for the suspension. So they have to come out anyway. If I get that high flow pump will I need to run a regulator for that Carb? Do you have any recomendations on what fuel filter I should use? Should it be high flow as well?
Carb?

The only reason you'd need this type pump is to maintain the high pressure required by the injectors.
If you are going to use a carb, your stock fuel system is more than adequate. Yes you'll need a different regulator for a carb. My guess is around 6-7 psi at the most.

The fuel injectors in your truck run at 60 psi :D

Now, I'm not sure you don't actually need a completely different style pump-designed for a carburetor system.

Yeah im going to be using a carb. If I was going to use a faster fuel pump with id hurt it with the regulator at 7psi?

They make pumps specifically designed for carbs, as most only use around 8-10psi. If you run a pump designed for fuel injection, I wouldn't count on it lasting too long. Many fuel injected systems include a return line for the regulated fuel so it doesn't restrict the pump too much and kill it, and the ST fuel system has the regulator and return line in-tank. I don't know what type of engine you plan on running, but if you have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, just use it along with an inline boost-a-pump to get the fuel from the tank (mechanicals prefer to be gravity fed from the tank). If not, you should be able to get away with your stock pump regulated (aftermarket regulator of course) for a while until it dies, and then grab a specially designed pump and regulator to match the flow rating you'll need (given your carburator size and jet settings).

Here's a quick, and generic, overview of what you have: http://www.aa1car.com/library/returnless_efi.htm

Tom

Back