Fuel Pump Questions?

4Wheelin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown, Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport 4x4
Can anyone please tell me How do I would know when my fuel pump is going bad? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to tell when the fuel pump is going bad is when it quits! :eek:
Generally the fuel pump doesn't give any notice before it gives up the ghost. The only symptom (other than failure) is when the vehicle looses almost all power and backfires when trying to accelerate.

My fuel pump is going! I work at a Dealership and one of the techs told me that my fuel pump is going. Here are my symptoms that lead him to believe this.

You can hear a humming noise when the Ex starts. If you turn the key half way you'll hear a humming of the fuel pump turning on. This humming will continue after it starts.

When I do not hear this humming the Ex will not start.

Sometimes if I have a quarter of a tank of fuel or less the truck will not kick over. It takes about 10 or more times for it to kick over.

Could be relay

Make sure you check the computer codes. The computer usually knows when the relay is to blame instead of the pump.

The code is something to the effect of "Fuel Circuit Secondary Fail".

Another thing to do if you can is measure the current going to the fuel pump so when it fails you can see that the current goes almost to zero. Place an ammeter in series at the fuel pump cutoff switch.

If it is the fuel pump, you might want to consider finding a way to get to it from the top.

I remember a thread related to cutting a hole in the floor and removing it from there. Much easier than dropping the tank.

On a Ranger you can remove the bed easier than you can drop the tank. I changed my pump in about 1/2 hour....

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip

Fuel Pump Update

I just got my Ex repaired for the fuel pump problem. It was a bad fuel pump relay that was bad. 91.00 it cost me at the stealership!

Back