• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump recomendations

iwannax

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Which fuel pump do you recommend? Of course motorcraft would be one of the best, but its also the most expensive.

I don't know if I'm in need of a pump quite yet, but I would like to know the general consensus for future reference. Also is the pump and sending unit separate? Can I just buy a pump and strainer without buying a whole pickup assy.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah that ebay link is dirt cheap. $25 compared to $72 that autozone wants. Rockauto only goes down to $60ish.

I'm gonna say motorcraft, Original pump in the truck died after 240,000 miles which works out to be about 11,000 Gallons of gas, Autozone part i went though 3 of them within 10,000 miles. Got fed up with the autozone crap and got a motorcraft pump, and ive put another 80,000 miles on it.

Airtex are good pumps, I however recommend replacing the whole assembly while you are there, just because you don't want to have to drop the tank any more than you have too.

I dont think I'll even have to drop the tank, seems like the PO had the "access hole" mod done to it. Theres metal and fiberglass under the rear seat on the drivers side in the same region where the sender would be.

The fuel gauge works fine, but are the pick-ups and senders a problem areas in these trucks? If not, Id rather not have to spend the extra money to replace the whole assembly if I dont have to.

If there is anything I have learned working on my Fords, its Motorcraft parts. I tried many cheapies when I started doing my own work back in high school and was let down often.

Get the motorcraft part, and do the job once. You pay a little more, but the lost time and cost of buying another part and doing the job over is much more expensive.

If there is anything I have learned working on my Fords, its Motorcraft parts. I tried many cheapies when I started doing my own work back in high school and was let down often.

Get the motorcraft part, and do the job once. You pay a little more, but the lost time and cost of buying another part and doing the job over is much more expensive.

Parts are kind of like food. Some store brands are quite tasty and some I wouldn't feed my dog. Some aftermarket parts are good and some I wouldn't throw at a cat. Sometimes you buy "Great Value" vegetables, sometimes you buy Bush's/Green Giant.......it's what you can afford vs quality. I don't take recommending brand name parts as opposed to OEM lightly. I can vouch for the quality of Airtex. A lot of OEM parts are manufactured by companies that also sell their brands. The eBay link I posted was for reference only. Airtex was not mentioned there so I can't recommend it. I can only say to search eBay for the Airtex and/or AC.

BTW, I am somewhat qualified to speak on auto parts.:D

Oh I wasnt going to buy the one on Ebay haha that sounded too good to be true.

I would love to get a motorcraft pump, but I can only find them as a whole assembly costing more than $350....I'm sorry, but I'll take my chances with the cheaper Airtex pumps.

Actually, while the pump itself on the Motorcraft unit is good, the assembly itself is low-end, being rust-prone mild steel.

I replaced my OE pump with a NAPA assembly, which was half the price, and was shiny stainless steel, and had a much better replacement pump. I was glad to be able to just pop the old one out and drop the new one in, rather than mess with the pump and strainer connections.

If you pop the access door and the top of the assembly looks new, it might have already been replaced. Having an access panel in the first place makes me think at least the pump itself has already been replaced once.

If the assembly is in good shape otherwise, go ahead and save the dough and just get a good pump. Airtex is a good brand as has been mentioned, or you could spring for a Walbro if you wanted higher flow.

If this is a daily driver, i would switch out the pump for a motorcraft, if this is becoming a offroad truck, save yourself some headaches, modify the intake pump to be a strainer only and put a nice inline pump after the tank.

I merely speak of my own experience. I have never had problems with the OEM stuff. I have had problems and have had friends have issues with cheap over the parts counter stuff. I understand there is better than OEM stuff out there, but you pay for it too. I am just saying don't go cheap, spend the money up front and be happy.

I don't like to research aftermarket stuff when I want it fixed now, but thats just me.

Back