Fuel Pump Relay Power

ddenton749

Reaction score
City, State
Kennett Square, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
1993, V6, auto, 4WD

There is no power coming to the coil side of the fuel pump relay socket terminal. IOW, the relay is not being energized to activate the pump. I can manually supply power to the fuel pump by placing a jumper in the fuel pump primary circuit (after removing the relay) and the fuel pump works just fine. Can anyone tell me where the power to energize the fuel pump relay comes from. Is it the EEC? The inertia switch is good.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The power to that relay

is switched by the EEC relay. You didn't say if you could start the vehicle. If you can not start the engine, I would check the EEC fuse or see if power is on the EEC coil when the ignition switch is ON. EEC relay should turn on with switch, it is not controled by the computer.

Sorry, the car starts and runs fine with the jumper in place of the relay. It appears that side of the relay terminal is powered through the ignition switch.

On the fuel pump relay socket

are the connectors visible that go to the relay coil? There may be a problem with the retainer that holds the socket and it may have dropped down. If not, that will be a tangled mess of wires to figure out. If it were mine, I'd just solder a thin #22 wire from the pin of one relay to the other relay since this line wouldn't carry much current. Just don't know how easy it would be to turn that box over to repair.

I haven't pulled the power distribution box out yet, but it does sound as though something like that could be the problem. The connectors are visible enough that I can touch them with a test light. I was going to pull the box out and have a look inside it. I'll let you know. I may not be able to work on it until the weekend.

Thanks

Found It!

I pulled the power distribution box and took the cover off of the bottom. I found a bad connection at the fuel pump fuse. The terminal on the wire from the fuse to the fuel pump relay was corroded and loose at the fuse. A little spray of electrical contact cleaner on the end terminal did the trick. Didn't hurt to spray all of the other either.

Back