• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump relay.

bsalzman

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls
the fuel pump will turn on some times and some times not.

I don't think it is the pump for it dose work some times it is usually all or nothing with them. Checked all pump relays and fuses. (Safety switch not trip)

where do i go from here, I have heard about corrosion issue? but where to start

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try replacing the relay.

I did with the same results. Is the relay terminals (plug-in) the question? Is there a shot of a electrical spray cleaner that would work.

Just want to get a full shopping list for when I go back to work.

Try a spray called TV Tuner, you can find it at Radio Shack and it's about $10 a can. I doubt that corrosion is your problem but it can't hurt to try. You might want to reach up above your fuel tank and see if your fuel pump plug is plugged in all the way.

I have this CRC QD® Electronic Cleaner at work and i get a discount on purchase. Half the price. I did get the relay and there was no change on the problem. I will also check the conector.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Do you see the check engine light when you lose power going to the fuel pump? If not, then it could be the PCM relay or a bad ground connection.

You appear to be going "hunting" but you left your most important weapon at "home". Get a meter and start looking for voltage and grounds as opposed to just "blindly spraying and pulling". You should see "operating" and "switching" voltages at the relay ... the "operating voltage" causes the relay to operate (assuming you have a ground also) AND "switching voltage" is what gets "received" and then "sent" on-wards towards the pump. Those have to be there or "happen" otherwise the pump thing ain't. Further, check the resistance of the pump "windings" to see if they are "good"... there should be some value (albeit low) but it shouldn't be high or open.

solution

Gone to ford with help from friend pointing out the anti theif light flash difference. big dollors moudule replaced.

Back