fuel pump relay

redexplr

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage, alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 eddie baur
i was hoping someone could help me out.
my fuel pump relay is stuck so the fuel pump stays on when i shut the engine off so i have to pull the fuse each time i park. I was wondering where the fuel pump relay is located? In my manual it shows a picture and shows is being in the power distribution box, but the picture isnt even close to mine so i cannot find it.? Its a '91

i did a search on this site but they sited the same location so mine must be somewhere else? help please!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, do you know what a relay looks like? If not it’s a black 1 inch square box. Did you locate the power distribution box under the hood? Sound like you did. Now you have the picture under the cover of the distribution box, look at the fuses, the relay should be right above the big set of fuses. The relay’s sit 2 across the box. If you still can’t figure out witch one it is, start the engine and pull each relay till the fuel pump shuts off.

nope, there are no relays that are in my powerdistribution box, i know what they are supposed to look like and i have seen the picture in the manual that shows the two rows of square black relays in the distribution box, but my explorer does not have any of those at all, just the fuses. Ive heard that car manufacturs change posistions of relays even within the same model year, anyone with a '91 know where else to look??

i looked up the manual again, the picture they show is for a soch engine, i have the ohv 4.0, the only thing in the powerdistribution box (black box on passenger side) is the fuel pump relay fuse, but not the relay itself. Does anyone know where the relay is????
i need help fast, im leaving to hawaii soon and need this fixed.

The fuel pump relay is underneath the power dist box, mounted underneath a black plastic relay rack.

My 91 had three relays...fuel pump was the middle one. Replacements are $12 at Autozone.

I broke the plastic relay rack trying to get to the relays...it was very cold that night. I zip tied the thing back together and everything works fine. Superglue didn't work!

Thanks!!!! this site always comes through to the rescue. i searched the dang ex all over and called all over. Thanks!!

i knew i wasnt crazy not seeing it in the distribution box, now i gotta get to the dang thing, i wish it was in the dist box as it would be much easier to get to!
:bounce:

Back