Fuel Pump Repair | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Repair

Chilton's DIY manual had a pretty decent description of how to do a fuel pressure test. You can also find the "fuel pressure test mini-diary" in the under the hood forum http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142801

The fuel pressure test kit I have is about $40-50 from just about any auto parts store. Harbor Freight has a cheap fuel pressure test kit that seems to run $10-20.

I heard from a cpl of reliable people that there is a situation where when you replace the pump you have to put in 5 + gals of gas to get it to start...is that true? I will do it but with the price of uel so high I don't want to put 5 gals in without it being the problem...anyone know?

I'm not sure about the 5+ gallon specification, but, assuming you drained the tank while changing the pump, yes you will need to add some gas to the tank and you will want to add enough so that you are reasonably sure that the fuel pump pick up is covered enough that the pump won't suck air. 5 gallons (~1/4 tank) might be overkill, but it would certainly be enough.

Ok...I have had no success with the special tooling for the "quick disconnect" and the one question still remains...does the "5 gal" rule actually mean anything, putting at least five gallons in after replacing the pump to start up again? I heard this from other mechanics but haven't had a chance to test the rule yet...?

Back