• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump replace?

boaterbob

Reaction score
City, State
cranford nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I read a thread where it is recomended to cut a hole in the floor to access the fuel pump. Is it easy to locate where to cut the hole and how big do you need it? BTW, My 97 x is very rusted. Also i have 170,000 k with original pump do they have a life expectency. Don't want to get stuck on the road:( Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not cut a hole in the floor unless something is seriously preventing you from jacking it up and getting under it.

I've done the gas tank twice. It took a long time the first time but the second time it was like 30 min to get the tank out. If you know the process and have the tools it is easy.

Disconnect your battery cable FIRST to avoid any possibility of sparking
jack stand the back or all 4 if you have 4 stands
take off the gas tank cover, 3 screws, need an extension for one of them.
loosen the 2 gas tank bolts
disconnect the 2 fuel lines hoses, you need a fuel line disconnect tool ($10 set)
disconnect the electrical plug for the fuel pump
disconnect the fuel filler and the return hose.

drop the tank on a piece of cardboard and slide it out

you want the tank empty, it is very heavy with fuel but doable if near empty

the fuel tank is high, you might have to do a final jacking by a few inches to slide it out

putting it back takes 10 mins because those 4 hoses just snap on

some do go for a long time but I think the fail rate on these judging by the posts is about 150k - 200k .. mine went at 220k , then a cheap chinese pump went 20k later and the one I replaced it with has been going at least 50k now.

Please add:
Disconnect your battery cable FIRST to avoid any possibility of sparking!

Keeping your tank 1/4 full and changing the fuel filter every 20K is the best PM for your fuel pump. Pumps hate to run dry!

Back