• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump replacement

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
hi, is there a way around replacing a fuel pump without the need of a fuel pump hose to relieve the fuel pressure? thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with a fuel pump that is building some pressure the easiest way to relieve the pressure is to give the inertia switch in the front foot well a good sharp whack or two until the red button pops up. Then crank (run) it until it quits. Be sure to reset the switch after completion of the replacement.

i'm not sure and have never touched the inertia switch, but I have taken out the fuel pump relay before and ran it until it wouldn't start. Is this another way to relieve the fuel pressure?

Yes

The inertia switch is pretty easy to activate and get to. I know that about 2 years ago my buddy and I got done hunting and were about to leave and the truck drove maybe 10 feet and quit. Took forever and a ton of google searches to figure out that he kicked the switch with his foot and caused it to activate. Just had to reset it and it started right back up. Not sure if the fuel pump relay is easier to access or not but the switch is located on the passenger side under the glove box. Its fairly easy to get to and you don't have to disconnect anything.

Back