• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump revenge

Jeffrey Moore

Reaction score
City, State
Milton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac XLS
So in order to put a new fuel filter in my 2004 sport trac, I removed the fuse for the fuel pump and let the truck run spit, sputtered, and die so as to relieve my fuel system of pressure. I replaced the filter returned the pump fuse to its place and turned on the key to prime the system, and then cranked the truck which took quite a bit of doing. Now my truck will barely crank and barely stay running, its misfiring like crazy and gas is coming out of my exhaust in several spots (doughnuts joints) to include the tail pipe. Forscan is showing 50 psi fuel rail pressure with engine running .02 psi with key on engine off, and its pretty much undrivable, even have a weird battery problem. Fully charged battery but when I'm cranking the truck the last 2 times, it would actually seems like the motor seized up on something but there's a noise from the instrument panel like when your battery dies, buzzing noise. Anyhow, what in the hell have I done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did Forscan show any trouble code(s)? Is the check engine light blinking indicating misfiring?
I would NOT run the engine if the exhaust is spewing gas. Catalytic converters are expensive.
If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately.

Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.

2004 Owners Manual (Page 10)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04p27og3e.pdf

does your truck have the 3 line filter?

Yeah, I'm on that bandwagon about not driving it. I'm going to have it towed to the mechanic. So answering the questions, it's not throwing any codes nor is the check engine light on. When I cranked it yesterday, I was connected to Forscan and 2 of the peramiters that I was monitoring was

(A) Current engine misfire detected - Yes
(B) Number of misfires detected since engine start - 177

My truck has the no return fuel system which relies heavily on the fuel pressure sensor and a fuel pump module which together they turn the FP on and off as needed with the goal of prolonging the life of the FP by keeping it from staying on constantly...oh and the answer to 2nd question is NO to 3 line filter, my filter has 1 in and 1 out. But now the truck won't even turn over. It acts an sounds like a dead battery, but it's not, my battery voltage is at 12.8 volts and the battery itself is less than 2 weeks old but when you turn the key, the engine will turn over for a second or two and then abruptly jams to a halt and at the same time my instrument cluster starts ticking, buzzing and flashing until I pull the key from the ignition.

Sounds like a battery wire/ starter wire / power feed issue
check your battery wiring, power wiring at the power dist box
check your fuses in the power dist box
Wiggle the EEC /PCM relay or swap it with the one next to it
You messed with the fuel pump fuse right? Go back and check inside there see if anything got bumped or dislodged

check battery voltage
Check ground cables
check battery terminals

All must be clean and tight

Back