• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Fuel pump shut off switch location.

vanman9

Reaction score
City, State
sf bay area
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Aerostar
3L work truck
My '94 3L fleet buy has a sticker next to the radiator that says If engine fails to start this vehicle is equipped with a fuel pump shutoff switch. Resetting this switch may resolve the problem. Please refer to the owners guide for switch location and reset instructions. So page 85 says switch is in front of pass door under dashboard. I have not had this problem yet thankfully as I have looked and looked and cannot find this switch / reset. Is it possible my truck doesn't have this? Is it maybe located some where else?
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
All EFI vehicles have a fuel pump cutoff switch, it's called the inertia switch, no big deal, common part. It's made to shut off the fuel when the car is flipped. In the Explorers it's under the dash on the firewall, just above the rug. Wherever it is, to check it, put your finger down into the top of it. There is a plastic plunger there, which normally is set down into the middle bottom of it. When "tripped", it will pop up a good bit, disconnecting the power to the fuel pump relay. Just push it back down with minor effort.

As an anti-theft device, you can trip it manually, smack it hard with an object, like the handle of a screw driver. It could take a few attempts.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
It's in the front passenger's side kick panel which is under the dashboard on the side of the passenger's door.

Is it behind the kick panel on the 1st gens?

I couldn't find an old picture showing it, so I mentioned where it is on the 95-01's.

The dark green one below is my old 93, the puke green one is my 99 truck.

Inertia Switch.jpg

PICT1212.JPG

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Ah, I was thinking 1st gen Explorer, which are similar but not identical.