Fuel pump shut off switch location. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump shut off switch location.

vanman9

Reaction score
City, State
sf bay area
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Aerostar
3L work truck
My '94 3L fleet buy has a sticker next to the radiator that says If engine fails to start this vehicle is equipped with a fuel pump shutoff switch. Resetting this switch may resolve the problem. Please refer to the owners guide for switch location and reset instructions. So page 85 says switch is in front of pass door under dashboard. I have not had this problem yet thankfully as I have looked and looked and cannot find this switch / reset. Is it possible my truck doesn't have this? Is it maybe located some where else?
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All EFI vehicles have a fuel pump cutoff switch, it's called the inertia switch, no big deal, common part. It's made to shut off the fuel when the car is flipped. In the Explorers it's under the dash on the firewall, just above the rug. Wherever it is, to check it, put your finger down into the top of it. There is a plastic plunger there, which normally is set down into the middle bottom of it. When "tripped", it will pop up a good bit, disconnecting the power to the fuel pump relay. Just push it back down with minor effort.

As an anti-theft device, you can trip it manually, smack it hard with an object, like the handle of a screw driver. It could take a few attempts.

It's in the front passenger's side kick panel which is under the dashboard on the side of the passenger's door.

Is it behind the kick panel on the 1st gens?

I couldn't find an old picture showing it, so I mentioned where it is on the 95-01's.

The dark green one below is my old 93, the puke green one is my 99 truck.

Inertia Switch.jpg

PICT1212.JPG

Ah, I was thinking 1st gen Explorer, which are similar but not identical.

I want to make a fuel kill switch for my Interceptor so I think I will look at that. The fuel kill switch will have to be located on the right side of the driver's seat for easy access just in case you get car jacked; you slide your hand down and flip it to the off position. The only problem with car jackers is that they have your keys - including the house key and a bunch of other important keys.

imo i would put it somewhere unsuspecting, and imo the driver seat is one of the easiest places to check... if in theory (i dont have one, so dont try stealing mine) i made a kill switch, i cut out a hole in the cubby/message center in my 2nd gen high series console for my CB and GMRS and theres still a gap below the Cb and the bottom of where the msg center is, so i could put one under there.

I want to make a fuel kill switch for my Interceptor so I think I will look at that. The fuel kill switch will have to be located on the right side of the driver's seat for easy access just in case you get car jacked; you slide your hand down and flip it to the off position. The only problem with car jackers is that they have your keys - including the house key and a bunch of other important keys.
That’s about the worst idea I have ever heard. The real problem is the car is going to die almost immediately and then an armed robber is going to be very salty, and if your unlucky is going to dump a clip in your face. It’s an Explorer. Have insurance, let them take it. I doubt many Interceptors get car jacked, anyways.

it could work when you leave the vehicle though, right? as in when you park then it will only run briefly then die? but if someone tries to commandeer the vehicle... let em have it... jmo... your life/the risk of getting beat up/shot is not worth the X... if you want put something like lojack in it!

I like the idea of a timer on the kill switch, set it for 45 seconds. I have an alarm system already, wonder if this is possible, it's got a lot of options I never use. Funny thing is every few years it gets set in "valet" mode and I have to get the book out to re-set. I cannot set or re-set from the alarm remotes. :)

There’s not an Explorer in the world worth interfering with a car jacket. Besides the chances are beyond incredibly slim, like 1/100th of a percent.

Jacob's Electronics made an ignition system for 302 HO's in Fox chassis Fords. I put that in my first LSC and never had to find out how the anti-theft worked. But it was a good idea, there was a kill circuit in it that had to be disabled each time you started the engine. When it wasn't deactivated, it would shut the engine down after a couple of minutes, which is plenty of time to let a car jacker drive away, and you get safe. There are many anit theft systems for sure, that version made the most sense to me, of those I'd read of.

I always liked the idea of adding small air horns to an alarm system, when it thinks someone is inside the vehicle. If you are stealing my vehicle, I'd like you to hear my anger, not some common annoying alarm horn.

I always liked the idea of adding small air horns to an alarm system, when it thinks someone is inside the vehicle. If you are stealing my vehicle, I'd like you to hear my anger, not some common annoying alarm horn.
I knew a kid who had horn loaded compression drivers under the dash that was triggered by the alarm. It was ear piercing.

ive got a wolo bad boy in mine, definitely scared one away with that thing!!! i wonder what hapoens if i put one under the dash... :D let the bonfire begin! now i wanna get another one of these things and put it under the dash...

ive got a wolo bad boy in mine, definitely scared one away with that thing!!! i wonder what hapoens if i put one under the dash... :D let the bonfire begin! now i wanna get another one of these things and put it under the dash...
You will be able to use the above remote.
I believe it works up to 50' away.
Anyway... I plan on using this .wav for one of my horns. I also have that "BadBoy" air horn. That SOB is LOUD!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will be able to use the above remote.
I believe it works up to 50' away.
Anyway... I plan on using this .wav for one of my horns. I also have that "BadBoy" air horn. That SOB is LOUD!!!
yeah!!!! for its size and it not being a "true" train horn, that thing is louddd!!!! would neevr wanna steal a car with one of those!

Back