• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Stress

Gaylan

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL
I've got a '97 Explorer, I think I have a fuel pump problem. Can someone give me the voltages and their specific locations along the way to the pump? When I check the voltage at the pump connection with the key on I temporaraly get about 7.0 volts, then it goes to 0.00 volts. The issue I had was that as I was driving the vehicle started to stutter and lose power. It would idle fine, but when I stepped on the accelarator it just bogged out to nothing then it died and won't restart. 15 years old and 308000 mi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box?

I've checked the available voltages at the relay sockets, but not sure how to actually check the relay

Try swaping with the horn relay and see if it works. Or another of the same type

Did that on the side of the road immeadetly after the incident with no change. But haven't tried it in the shop where I can test voltages before and after.

Have you tested for fuel pressure? Have you tested for power at the inertia switch?

First, check battery voltage. Fuel pump will have battery voltage for 1-2seconds when you turn the key on, then drop to around 6V until you start the engine. Then it runs on full battery voltage. Believe me, I fought mine (96 4.0 OHV) for two days trying to get a good diagnosis before I relpaced the fuel pump. By the way, if the pump is not running, and the voltages check out. Try hitting the bottom of the fuel tank. Worked for me a few times until the pump finally quit all together. Turned out to be foreign material on the armature.

Back